Confusing Goodyear/Gail motors

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all,
I picked up two Goodyear motors yesterday from the old trusty Craigs list. Both are 5hp models and both share the same model# of 025-3564A. They both look totally different. The first one has a full shroud around the bottom half of the motor and is serial# 351447. The other has no shrouds around the bottom and has serial# 341625. The both have different what I am assuming are fuel shutoff knobs at the bottom of the carb. The one with the full shroud has a flat knob to clear the shroud and the other has a much larger rounded knob. from searching the internet I understand they are Gail outboards from 1947 or 48. How can two outboards with the same model number be so different? Can anyone shed some light on this? Any Gail gurus on the forum?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In the first place, that model was built in 1949-1950. And your second motor should have lower shrouds too. Very often those shrouds have gotten removed and lost or trashed. I'm not sure what you are saying about the knobs, but here is how it should look. Maybe somebody has done some parts swapping on one of your motors??? http://s19.postimg.org/vmf6bqlmb/Pg_47_T_Trim_Group.jpg

EDIT: I should clarify---025-3564 (without the "A" was a 1948.

Last edited:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you to both of you. Very helpful information. I spent a few hours with one of the motors yesterday. After tearing down the covers, gas tank, carb etc. I was very surprised how clean things were given the 1/4 inch of dirt and grime on the motor. After pulling the fly wheel and cleaning up the coils and points and the plug wire ends I spun the motor by hand a few times. I had spark on the top cylinder!! Very happy with that. A little more cleaning and fiddeling with the plug connection I now have spark on both cylinders. I think this thing might run. I have a few questions. What current day spark plug should I use and at what gap? What should the point gap be set at? and lastly the lower gear case uses grease instead of oil? What grease do I use for that? Thanks again for the help.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Some guys use "corn head grease", available from farm implement dealers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OR...Lubriplate 105 "Motor Assembly Grease" available at NAPA stores. Unlike the corn head grease, it comes in a handy squeeze tube, making it easy to squish into outboard lower units.