Found a 1957 "White and Orange" Elgin at a garage sale.

joeaksa

Recruit
Was at a garage sale recently and found a 1957 model Elgin and thats what brought me to this thread. Its also one of the "white and orange" models and in fair shape.

We are in Phoenix Arizona so not much use for a motor like this hear and the gent who is selling it says it was his Fathers "many years ago" and he has no idea how long its been since it was run.

Hate to see this motor go to the scrap yards. Anyone have any suggestion on what its worth and other than CraigsList or Ebay some ideas to find a new (and good) home for it?

Thx, Joe

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
You didn't mention the horsepower! I'm not familiar with what you have by what you have told us. I have a 57 Elgin 12 hp that's red and white. Does yours have a tank on top or separate? A tank on top would indicate a small horsepower. Lower horsepower motors tend to be worth more. As for what it's worth. Since I don't know the hp it's hard to tell. That being said; if it's running you could probably expect 50 to 75 (here on the north east coast). Not running; up to $50. This is just my take on it. Why don't you post some pictures and/or find out the hp and post it.

joeaksa

Recruit
Sorry about that on the size. I believe that its a 5 1/2 hp engine and the serial number is: 571.58241 Elgin outboard motor.jpg Elgin outboard motor right side.jpg Elgin outboard motor back.jpg Elgin outboard motor front.jpg

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I have the same one only a couple of years newer; it's all white. I'd completely forgot about it as I have it stored away. I was picturing the water cooled West Bend Elgins. It's air cooled with a small pipe near the prop that picks up water as the motor moves. This helps cool the lower engine bearing and the exhaust if I'm not mistaken. Mine ran great and since it's light I had planned to use it as a backup on my boat. However, the recoil has a 'basket' with three metal balls that engage when pulled. The edges of the basket on mine are apparently worn and the balls jam the recoil. I was hoping to find a replacement but none have appeared on ebay for the past couple years so the motor sits. It is a nice runner and make sure to use oil for air cooled motors and not the regular outboard oil; thought I'm not sure if it would hurt in the short run. If you run it other than on a boat ( to keep the water running up the pipe) don't do so for very long. I believe they made this same motor for a number of years and under other badges such as Sears (mine), Chrysler, West Bend. Too nice to scrap but not worth a whole lot different than I had already mentioned.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It's a 59 2 hp. Value pretty much as suggested.
Usually these little motors have a manual start plate under the recoil.
In good tune they should start In a couple of pulls.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
steelspike; I know a lot of these older/smaller motors have a manual rope plate. Unfortunately, this is one that doesn't and due to the 'basket' there's no way to mount one from another motor. I would have been happy with a 'rope wind.' Could it be that a pulley would (block the fins) restrict the cooling airflow?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Joe: There's a parts manual (with pictures) for this motor. Look up oddjob motors or type in Elgin manual on a search. Looks like the motor is complete from the pictures. Just an FYI

joeaksa

Recruit
Thanks everyone. A friend has the motor and he is about to move out of his house so needs to find a good home for it. I will tell him what you all have passed along and hope it helps!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
steelspike; I know a lot of these older/smaller motors have a manual rope plate. Unfortunately, this is one that doesn't and due to the 'basket' there's no way to mount one from another motor. I would have been happy with a 'rope wind.' Could it be that a pulley would (block the fins) restrict the cooling airflow?
Not sure what it looks like but;
You may be able to wrap the rope up on itself enough to crank it over.
If the basket is no good perhaps you can file or cut a notch for the knot to grip.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
SS: The basket is about 2-2.5 in diameter. A little tough for turning over leverage/cord wrap around, but I like your idea. I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know how it works out. My motor starts easily and there isn't much to turn over.