3.0 Sears Gamefisher outboard

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

I need some help getting some info on a motor that I found in my father-in-law's shed after he died. It is a Sears Gamefisher, 3.0, model #298-586190 Ser. # F-076979. It probably was not even started for at least 8-9 years. I got it running great now. I have 25/1 gas oil ratio in it, but now I found that it should be 50/1. I think the extra oil in it is probably ok since it has not ran for years to get the parts lubed up real good. It only holds about a quart of gas so it will be gone soon if I use it or let it run for awhile, although it is probably great on fuel economy I would think. I changed the gear oil in the motor, and the oil I removed looked like it was still in good condition surpisingly. Had some fish line wrapped around the prop shaft behind the prop. The seal looked good and I don't think it was leaking due to the fish line with the amount and condition of the gear oil I removed.

I cannot find what year the motor was made. I did research on line and cannot find this information. Can anyone out there tell me what year it is going by the serial number or model number? I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Your motor was probably made for Sears by Tanaka....I've been running one on my canoe for over 30 years....darn good little motor, but the EPA made them stop importing them back in the 1990's I believe.....said they didn't meet emissions standards.....I don't know about the year of manufacture....good luck!...

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I believe that model was made between 1984 and 1992. Yours was probably made in the late 1980's

robert graham

Admiral
I doubt the model year will matter much since the design of the motor stayed pretty much the same.....I think Sears Parts may have some parts....