Commodore model 103201 1962 outboard by West Bend

jamminjoey

Recruit
I have recently acquired this old outboard and need some help. It seems there is little info. out there on this old unit. The model tag is clearly visible, model 103201 and states on tag that is a 8hp. From found info. all states it is a 10hp. Does anyone know for sure? Also I need to know what is the proper spark plug for this unit. I received it with 2 different types of plugs in it. It also ha a water pump failure. Does anyone know were I might find parts? I need at least an impeller and would also like to replace the pump housing if poss. Can anyone help? I have it running really good and would love to be able to use it. Thanks for any help provided.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately I don't find your model number. The Commodore is available in 7.5 to 8 hp and based on the West Bend.
also available in 10 to 18 hp .based on the 12 to 20 West Bend.The 8 hp has I believe a 2 1/8" stroke.
The 10 hp has a 2 3/8" stroke The 18 and 20 have a @ 2 7/16 stroke.
The 7.5 to 10 use a H8J champion the 16 to 20 use J4J Champion.
There should be someone at www.aomci.org that can help you.
I don't think you have to join but I found the site helpful.

jamminjoey

Recruit
Thanks for the info. I worked through the minor issues. I found an impeller. $73.00.... WoW, high dollar! Now I have a bigger issue. After cleaning the corrosion off the impeller housing I found that is very pitted.Needless to say I cant find a housing anywhere. Has anyone tried to line a impeller housing with say a soda can? I thought of filling the pits with JB weld but I am afraid of it breaking loose and poss. causing further damage to the housing. I am open for opinions.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
West Bend also made motors for Sears Elgin Motors West Bend became Chrysler in 66. It appears on my after market service manual
both 66 Chrysler and 65 West bend use a top and bottom plate in the pump housing.
As do all models through to 66. As far as I could go.
While the drawings are different the components appear the same.
Older manual; covers 55-65 7.5 ,8 and 9 hpWest Bend motors all the same blow up drawings.
So there is a slim chance that Chrysler parts may work, 9.2, and a lot of years of Elgin,55-59 7.5 hp.

Last edited: