Help! Petcock question

mgratton

Recruit
I tried the search option but petcocks come up way too often.  I recently picked up a 3hp Gamefisher made by Tanaka. The PO fired it up and it ran fine. I brought it home, drained the fuel to fix a small crack in the task, changed the gear oil and spark plug. It started and quickly died. I couldn't start it again. I verified it has a spark. I checked the fuel line to the petcock and it's clear, so is the line from the petcock to the carburetor. But no fuel flows through the petcock regardless of the position of the petcock lever. Should it or is there a vacuum that pulls it through?  Thanks in advance,  Mikeg

robert graham

Admiral
I've been running a 3HP Tanaka for over 30 years and the petcock can give trouble....I replaced my petcock, in-line filter and fuel lines with some from Northern Tool...they're really chain saw/weed eater/leaf blower type items....the fuel lines are a yellow/clear plastic and the petcock is a simple plastic in-line off/on unit and the filter is a very small/in-line unit....it all works very well.....for maybe $5 worth of items!....good luck!

robert graham

Admiral
Oh, one other item, the gas cap should have a small vent screw in the center that you must loosen some for the tank to vent properly

mgratton

Recruit
Thanks Robert, I hadn't thought about looking for the parts for weedwhacker or chainsaws. Great idea! We don't have Northern tools around here but I bet I can find somebody that carries them. So, the fuel SHOULD flow when I open the petcock? It doesn't require a vacuum from the carborator?

And my gas cap does have a vent screw and I had it open.

Thanks again,
mikeg

robert graham

Admiral
Any place that carries chain saw saw/weed eater type supplies....maybe Ace Hardware?.....and yes the fuel should flow to the carb by gravity....if you run your fuel line from the tank outlet to the in-line filter then to the little pet-**** then to the carb, you can use a tie-wrap/zip-tie to sorta hold up all this and keep it from moving around too much....

mgratton

Recruit
Thanks Robert, my petcock definitely doesn't flow with gravity. I can barely get any air through it when I blew through it. Tomorrow I'll see about getting a new one and gas filter and lines. Thanks again for the info, it has been invaluable.

mgratton

Recruit
The new petcock did the trick. After replacing it, I took it to a local lake and buzzed around for 45 minutes without issue. Thanks again!