SeaKing (Montgomery Ward) 45GG-9014A - Serial #538668 - Parts Help

MN Maniac

Recruit
I was lucky to inherited this 5HP Sea King beauty from my father-in-law and proceeded to tear the engine apart as soon as it wouldn't start. It had not been started in 20 years since his father had passed away. The coils were literally disintegrating when I looked through the fly wheel. I removed the fly wheel and when I tried to gingerly remove the coils, the spark plug lines also disintegrated so they all popped off. I need help finding the part numbers to replace the spark plug lines, the coils and the condensers (while I'm in there I may as well). Also, any suggestions on what to keep an eye out for while she's all torn apart or when I put her back together would be greatly appreciated. (Torque required on the flywheel nut for example?) I'm hoping to find a list of part numbers for future reference as well.

On a side note, what's the difference between my motor and the 35GG-9014A or the 45GG-1915A? All schematics seem exactly the same that I've been able to find online. Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards,
MN Maniac

F_R

Supreme Mariner
35GG9014A is a 1953 5hp Standard model (No neutral clutch)
45GG9015A is a 1954 5hp Deluxe model (Has a neutral clutch) A very popular model, still lots of them around.

Both have the OMC Universal Magneto, also used on all small Evinrude and Johnson motors from that time till about 20 years forward. All the ignition parts are available right here at iboats. Just use the E/J listings

The lower unit and water pump on your '54 is the same as Johnson TN-xx models. Powerhead and carburetors are strictly Gale

Yep, ALL of those early Universal magneto coils are cracked unless already replaced. At least you know it hasn't been run & worn out for 30 years

The numbers preceeding the GG on wards motors are the year, reversed. Reverse 35 and you get 53 (1953)

MN Maniac

Recruit
Thank you very much for the response F_R. I had emailed the iboats "parts" department for the parts that are needed and they told me they did not carry them. They then referred me to the forum to find someone to help me with part numbers. I can't find a suitable parts number to look up. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on the website?

I just found the following part numbers, and they all look very similar. 9-23102, 18-5181, & 183-4477 just different brands for the coils. Is this right? How about condensers? Does it really matter?
http://www.iboats.com/Evinrude-Ignition-Coils/dm/view_id.269647

Thank you for the clarification on the motors. That's pretty cool.
What is a neutral clutch? How is it better than a motor with no neutral clutch?

Thanks again for the clarification and help.

Best Regards,
MN Maniac

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'm surprised the guy at iboats didn't know this. But anyhow.....Sierra part numbers are:

Coil: 18-5181
Condenser:18-5199
Points set (1): 18-5156
Tune-up kit (2 points sets, 2 condensers): 18-5006

A neutral clutch is just what it says it is. It has a clutch lever on the side that shifts the motor into neutral gear (prop not turning, no drive). The non-neutral does not have the clutch and is "in gear" at all times. You start it up and it goes.

I guess I didn't make this clear enough: Your motor was made by Gale Products, a division of OMC. OMC also was the parent company of Evinrude and Johnson motors. That is why your motor shares some but not all parts with J/E. OMC went bankrupt, and now is BRP (Bombardier Recreation Products).

MN Maniac

Recruit
I was pretty surprised they weren't able to give me the info as well. Maybe they just were not willing to, since they didn't sell the parts themselves?

Thank you very much for the help. I should be getting the coils I ordered in the mail tomorrow and I am eager to install them and the new condensers that I ordered. Thank you very much for the help and your quick responses.

Best Regards,
Peter