196? Sears Clinton 3.5 HP Missing Fuel Line?

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a Sears Clinton 3.5 hp motor for 30 bucks. I hooked it up and tried to start it. Several problems revealed themselves. First of all, there is no spark. I will try a new plug tomorrow. However, it also seems like there is no fuel getting into the cylinder. Upon further inspection of the engine, it appears that a fuel line is missing. In the picture, the white metal piece that bends at a 90 degree angle goes to the fuel tank. At the top is a nut that appears to be the only way for fuel to leave that part of the engine (the white piece that goes to the right is just a support for the pace plate). When I took off the nut and pumped the tank, fuel came out.
The fuel pump also has a barb on the bottom labeled with an arrow pointing up.
My thought is that there should be a line running from the fuel pickup from the tank (now covered by the nut) to the fuel pump. I'm a little bit confused since it wouldn't make sense to take this line off.
The diagrams I found of this engine do not have the fuel pump assembly illustrated.

Anybody who has seen these motors, am I right? I would like to know before I start buying tubing and plugging it on. boat23 edited.jpg
Thanks for your input! boat edited.jpg

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
that bottom pic is the quick connect for an external tank. top pic looks like the fuel pump. Do you have the serial number. No spark could be points or coils. A serial number would really help along with some more pics,

Last edited:

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
My question is in regards to the fact that there is no line connecting the fuel pickup from the external tank to the fuel pump. The nut that is at more or less the center of the bottom picture appears to be where the fuel flows after entering the bottom of the metal piece at a right angle from the external tank. It then has nowhere to go. I am wondering if there is a missing line that connects that port (covered now by the nut) to the barb on the fuel pump. Alternatively, I think I could just hook up the tank to the barb on the fuel pump.

The model number is 60920 095585 B.
Sorry for few pictures, the uploader was being a pain in the neck.

UPDATE: I got a new plug--still no spark. Started taking off the top to clean the points but couldn't get the flywheel off. Maybe it's just on really well but I didn't want to pry it.
I also picked up some fuel hose from NAPA. Connected everything--no leaks, but still appears no fuel is getting to the cylinder when I pull the plug and look inside.

Last edited:

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Does the motor have a fuel tank on top? If so you don't need the pump or external tank. But there should be a line from the integral tank to the carburetor.

Don't pry on the flywheel. Do a search on how to take them off - there are two ways. Use a steering wheel / harmonic balancer puller (never worked for me) or use the hammer method (look it up, always worked for me). No spark probably means you need new points, condenser, coils, and plug wires. Complete overhaul of the ignition system is worth it and not very hard at all; a weak spark causes all kinds of problems.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
It does not have an internal tank. I now have fuel getting to the carb, but it is leaking out of the carb. Rebuild time I guess? I want to try to clean the points and contacts first though. If that doesn't work, I think its game over since there is no way to get parts for this motor anymore.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
If all you need are the ignition parts it would depend on how much time you want to put into it. Those are usually off the shelf parts if you can figure out what cross-references to what you need.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
All pulse operated outboard fuel pumps work on the same principal. Three lines. One is fuel inlet, one is fuel outlet, third is pulse from the crankcase. Even if not marked, super easy to identify. Blow into the inlet, and air should come out the outlet. Third is the pulse, which will seemingly be blocked but in reality will admit / let out just a bit of air as the diaphragm moves back and forth. If you can blow through the pulse fitting, the diaphragm is ruptured.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again for all the help guys. I pulled the flywheel, cleaned the points, gapped them (with a ruler, that's my next thing I'll fix), and I was able to get it running. Interestingly enough, I had given up and taken the gas tank off when it started--it was way too rich with the choke on. Now it starts up first pull every time. Since I'm running it in a trash can and it sprays up a lot, I can't tell if water is coming out of the ports or not. The motor is supposed to be air cooled but I know it has a water pump for the muffler and diagrams online seem to show a water tube that goes into the powerhead. I have two questions:
1. Should the engine around the spark plug be getting VERY hot (as in way too hot to touch)?
2. Should I try to inspect/replace the impeller? If so, how? On the Johnson I also have I know that to check the impeller one must remove the power head and do a bunch of other stuff I really don't want to do. Is it was simple as unbolting a few bolts on this motor?

Here is a link to diagrams of engines that share the same general configuration: http://www.rucenterprises.com/Clinton/Clinton_J5_J6_J9_outboard_parts_list.pdf
I think that the J-6 is closest to what I have. The part number 71 is what I was referring to as the water tube to the powerhead.

Thanks for your input guys!

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
I took the engine out today on my 14 footer. It ran like a charm and plenty of water was spraying out of the ports, so the impeller seems to be fine. I guess my next step is at some point to rebuild/clean the carb, although it is running fine for now. Does anyone know where I might find carb kits for old engines? It is a Tillotson M series I believe.

motorhead64

Cadet
You can find most kits online on the Bay. Just enter something like "Tillotson M series carb kits...". Some of the older kits are no longer available...the E series, for instance.