1956 Elgin impeller replacement issues

volumepedal

Cadet
Greetings to my fellow "forum-ites" and blessings from the great state of Confussion! I purchased a 1956 Elgin 7 1/2 hp outboard several weeks ago. So far I have replaced the coils and cleaned the carb. I have fire in both spark plugs and good compression, so this baby should run. However when I tried to remove the foot to inspect the water pump and replace the impeller, I hit a wall. I have removed the four screws that appear to hold the foot on and have undone the gear shift linkage but something seems to be holding it on. Please give me some wisdom. Thanks:)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The motor is by West Bend, Looks straight forward in my after market service manual. My guess is the drive shaft is stuck in the crank shaft.
Some suggest hanging the motor upside down, not too high,with something to cushion the power head when the leg comes free.
Crank the motor wiggle etc.

volumepedal

Cadet
Ok! Thanks, I'll give it a shot:).. Where were you able to get a service manual??? That would be a great asset. Thanks again!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Service manual is An after market type covers many brandsI would call it a fairly good manual.I have several manuals covering 55 - 89.
Payed about 10 to 20 dollars each about 10 years ago on ebay. These are published manuals by intertec Abos the rte is one by Clymers.
Now there are electronic versions, some of factory manuals.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I have a couple of these Elgins (57 and 58 12 hp) that are about the same as yours. I haven't worked on the water pump or lower units for years so my memory will do little to help. Working on a number of makes however, the one thing I remember is you have to look out for the 'hidden' bolt or nut. It won't be where you expect it. I don't know if it applies to these Elgins but you should look at the engine diagram and check for this before proceeding. Not long ago I broke a piece of the the tip of the lower unit of an 80's Chrysler 6 hp. I thought it was stuck and instead there was a 'hidden' nut there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It is a full gearshift (FNR) model, right? Should be nothing holding it other than the obvious 4 bolts and shift rod. Sadly, the drive shaft splines were a rusting problem because they did not have any kind of seal to keep water out.

volumepedal

Cadet
Thanks so much guys for the help. The Elgin is hanging upside down even as I write this. I have shot a good bit of PB penetrating oil down the shaft in hopes of those splines letting go. I really need to get a manual just in-case I have missed something. I didn't want to try to start it up without replacing the impeller.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
The impeller I told you about in the pm was correct, good fit and a lot less than a rebuilt. It would be a good idea to also check the water tube. mine was plugged with parts of the old impeller. If you need assistance removing the leg let me know and I will pm the procedure.