1976 Eska 7.0 HP Water pump / water tube question

tbg0519

Recruit
I picked up my Eska/Sears at a yard sale and decided to replace the impeller since I don't know the maintenence history. When I dropped the foot, the water tube came out with the foot. Does the water tube connect to anything at the top of the column, or does it only serve to pump water up the column to keep it filled above the holes? I have a manual from Brim but can't tell from that or the exploded diagram on sears parts direct where the tube connects at the top.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I have couple of these/related motors. If it's the water tube I'm thinking of (hanging behind the prop) it's designed to pick up water as the boat moves and more or less deliver it to the lower powerhead area where it cools the (I believe) lower engine bearing and also the lower unit housing. I run my motors on occasion in a barrel but not for too long as the design is for the movement to create a flow. The motors I've described do not have water pumps as they're air cooled but if yours does have a pump it may be a different ball game. I only have the motors I've described (2 hp Sears, Eska Golden Arrow and a Clinton Apache)

tbg0519

Recruit
This one is internal. It comes out of the water pump located on the foot and runs up the column. Just don't know if it is supposed to connect to something

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If I remember correctly I think theres a brass grommet that holds the water tube in place at the top of the leg. The water goes up the tube and sprays water to the bottom of the power head and cools it and the exhaust leg and sprays out thee exhaust ports as a mist.