Outboard always started at the first pull,not after. Same for the next day.

riverwave

Recruit
APS 2.5 HP 4 Stroke outboard.
It is a new outboard, I added engine oil, fuel and checked there is lube oil in lower unit.

Before starting outboard, I make sure the shift is in natural, fuel supply switch is on and the air screw is loosen.
I pull out the choke bar and pull the starter string, the motor is started nicely.

I left the motor run for 1 minute in natural and stopped the motor.
After 2 minutes, I try to start the motor but I couldn't.

Next day, the same thing happened. I have no problem in starting the motor in the first pull. But after that, I have troubles. Not always not able to start, but very hard to find the pattern to start the motor. The only sure pattern is the Motor is very easy to start in next day.

I am confused. Is it caused by too much engine oil. My outboard is mounted on the boat which is not perfectly leveled. I may added a little bit more Engine oil that required.

Any idea on this problem?

THx

Brooks

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
pull the plug after it runs and you shut it off. see if its really wet. It might be loading up with fuel and after it sits awhile it evaporates.

riverwave

Recruit
Could you be more specific? Which plug? Spark Plug?
And what do I need to do if the Spark Plug is wet with gas?

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
spark plug and if its wet then its a fuel issue with the carb. Floats adjusted wrong or needle isnt seating properly.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are you using the choke when trying to re-start it? Sounds like the motor is flooded. Probably doesn't want choke and likely wants the throttle pretty open.