Goodyear Sea Bee ID help

kgoose52

Cadet
Hello to all and thanks in advance for any answers to my question. I recently obtained a Sea Bee motor and i can not seem to locate a plate with serial number HP or even a model number. it is in fair shape and best i can tell so far is it is seized. since the item was free and generally these motor seem to be very reliable once running..lol i was hoping for id help and parts vendors. all i can provide are a few pictures i took. thanks for helping.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Obviously the pictures didn't post (they never do, since the board was "fixed"). Can you describe your Sea Bee? Color? Straight drive, or Neutral Clutch drive, or Full FNR gearshift? Does it pivot 360 for reverse? one cylinder or two? We probably can hit it pretty close with the above info.

EDIT: Look at some of these Viking pictures. Anything look familiar? Viking was made by same company as Sea Bee was.

http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/Examples.htm

Last edited:

kgoose52

Cadet
well is there anyway to get pictures to take ? the motor is green it is a 2 cyl. with FNR shifting on the right side. the fuel tank is on top of the motor. has a tiller with just throttle control on it. 3 blade prop

kgoose52

Cadet
well is there anyway to get pictures to take ? the motor is green it is a 2 cyl. with FNR shifting on the right side. the fuel tank is on top of the motor. has a tiller with just throttle control on it. 3 blade prop ​

F_R

Supreme Mariner

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is a 12hp Sea Bee, made by Gale Products Division of OMC. It is a Sea Bee model 025-3571 (Gale model 12D11G). It was built 1951 through 1953. It needs a LOT of oil. No less than 16:1. In fact, just for a bit of trivia, the Elto Speedster version which was a similar powerhead called for 8:1.

EDIT: Oops, make that 12D10G. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You had me fooled earlier when you said it has a throttle on the tiller. Fact is, it "Sort of" has a throttle on the tiller. It only controls the carburetor, not synchronized carburetor and spark advance. You have to slide the handle on the tank to control both.

Never remove the side plates from the cylinders on that motor. You will find them virtually impossible to get sealed when you put them back on. In fact the service manual says to send it back to the factory for re-sealing. But the factory isn't there any more.

You will be back asking how to get at the water pump next. You have to disconnect the shift rod by removing the rear portion of the midsection. Then undo the shift rod at the top end and rotate to unscrew from the link.

Those were decent running motors, with lots of noise.

Been there, done that.

kgoose52

Cadet
WOW you can actually tell me all of that from the pictures... LOL. Well my friend my hat is off to you for sure. Right now it feels seized but i think it would be fun and cool to get it running again. 12HP huh, that is more than i thought.. are parts interchangable with anything else ? i understand OMC parent and they made other motors for various other name brands. Any chance i get lucky on that ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well.........yes and no. From the powerhead down was used on the Evinrude 14hp Fastwin, and many continued on the early 15hp Fastwin, also used on the early 10hp Johnson QD models. The basic powerhead was used on the 12hp Elto Speedster, and with modifications on the 14hp Fastwin.

What you need to do is get a parts book specific to your particular Gale model, and order parts using those numbers, from an Evinrude dealer. (Or, some parts are available right here at iboats)

kgoose52

Cadet
awesome. you are. thanks so very much for the help. i came across an amazing find of a pdf Gale shop manual for 1951-1963. engine model pictures parts lists procedures maint. the works. it is awesome.