ted williams 5 hp problems.

rockmonkey

Cadet
i've done some work to my ted williams, carb kit, float, pump element, cleaned fuel tank, new fuel filter and i still can't get the darn thing to run. There's fuel coming out the top left side of the carb as well as dumping out the lower unit. I dont know what else to replace.

rockmonkey

Cadet
pretty sure. i just replaced the seat and the float. How can you determine the float seat is solid? When i pull the start, fuel just races out and continues afterward.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
sounds to me like its not seating or theres trash in the seat not allowing the needle to seat properly. I would put a small in-line fuel filter in it before the carb. I would remove the carb and the float bowl and check the float adjustment and blow out with compressed air to make sure theres no trash. with the carrb upside down, blow into the fuel inlet with your mouth and make sure no air is passing by the needle. If its seating properly then no air should pass through.

rockmonkey

Cadet
i did just add an inline fuel filter and cleaned out the tank. (still a little debris coming thru the bowl) what is the proper way to adjust the float on these carbs?