Briggs & Stratton Outboard Fuel Pump Troubles

Shoey

Recruit
I am working on a 5 HP Briggs outboard. The problem I am having is that it will start and run for two or three minutes, then it will sputter and die. I can pump up the bulb again and it will fire right back up again. I figured it was the fuel pump so I went ahead and put a new pump in. I tried it again. No change. I unhooked the gas line from the carburetor of the engine, and found that when I squeeze the bulb, gas comes out, so the lines aren't clogged. I took the pulse line off the fuel pump and it is clear. The only thing that has seemed to fix the problem was unhooking the original gas tank and bulb and just sticking the gas line into my gas can. Then it seems to run indefinitely. The original tank's vent is open so it is not that. This thing has me stumped. I work on lawnmowers and snow blowers and such. This is the first boat motor I have ever worked on so it's all a little new although the Briggs engine is identical to it's lawn mower counterpart with the exception of an added fuel pump.

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it seems simple; I am not famliar with boat motors.

robert graham

Admiral
Have you checked that little screen in the end of the fuel pick-up tube that's in the fuel tank?....they can get a film or jelly like deposit on them and reduce the fuel flow....spray it off with carb cleaner, then with an air gun....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Speaking generically
Sometimes there is a check valve in the dip tube in the tank.Sometimes the dip tube will suck air at what ever connections may be in the tank.
If there is a connector at the tank it could be sucking air.

Shoey

Recruit
I went and looked at the filter in the tank. It looks clean. So, I hooked up a different gas line into a regular gas can and it still dies after awhile, unless I periodically squeeze the primer bulb. If I put the tank above the engine, it runs forever, but once I put the tank below the engine it dies a few minutes later. I have tried two different fuel pumps so I don't imagine the pump itself is bad. The pulse line to the pump is clear. This one has me stumped.

Shoey

Recruit
Any other ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Coal

Cadet
I have a Briggs outboard, and have not had that problem. It would be interesting to see if using another Briggs fuel tank and hose, if the problem still exits.

ScottieScott

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same issue. But when I pump the bulb full, I get a small leak....which tells me there is a vacuum issue with the fuel line. The bulb is about half full when I re-pump the line, and it starts right back up. Try a new line, or get a new bulb.