Ted Williams 7.5 hp. dies at high throttle

tdrogers14

Cadet
I have an older Ted Williams 7.5 hp that I have had as a project. I cleaned the carb rebuilt gaskets for carb and "intake" and she starts right up. It will idle just fine but when I get to about 3\4 throttle it dies out and i have no clue where to go from here. Any help is much appreciated!

P.s. I am new to all of this so as I like to say...dummy it down a little for me lol. Thanks again!

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ted Williams 7.5 hp. dies at high throttle

I have an older Ted Williams 7.5 hp that I have had as a project. I cleaned the carb rebuilt gaskets for carb and "intake" and she starts right up. It will idle just fine but when I get to about 3\4 throttle it dies out and i have no clue where to go from here. Any help is much appreciated!

P.s. I am new to all of this so as I like to say...dummy it down a little for me lol. Thanks again!
Do you have a serial number so we know which mfg. it is?

tdrogers14

Cadet

The only other numbers are on a tag behind the carb. I'll have to look at it when I get home. It is a tecumseh air cooled engine.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only other numbers are on a tag behind the carb. I'll have to look at it when I get home. It is a tecumseh air cooled engine.
That helps. Check the duck bill ( fuel pump ) on back side of carb

tdrogers14

Cadet

I just replaced the duck bill about a week ago w a new one. I installed it at an 8-2 angle like a few old forums said to. That is what made the big difference in starting and idling.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

almost sounds like its running out of fuel. I know you said you cleaned the carb, but Im assuming you checked float,needle, seat and float height. And you have a high speed adjustment that you can lean/richen as well. Initial starting should be open 1 turn and adjust from there.

Last edited:

tdrogers14

Cadet
I have not taken out or messed with the Jets. I do not know how to remove them. As for the float how do I go about setting it?

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you do have adjustable jets and you haven't removed'em...You didn't really clean that carb.Tec.engines are fine,,but have the hardest to clean carbs.I've ever fooled with.That's true in 4 cycle as well as your 2 cycle.In a rebuild kit you should get needle,seat,gaskets,& a float.Not sure what it's called,but there's an alum.plug that covers factory drilling---that must be removed and jet drillings clean as well.You can get a replacement plug at a local mower repair shop.I'd do a search on carb.cleaning before starting.It's a lot more involved than just spraying.Good luck!!