arro triton 5.5hp outboard fuel in lower unit

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello resident experts, I hope you can help this o/b newbie. I have searched around here and google but found little info on this motor.

The back story is I recently acquired (read free) a 5.5hp outboard. It is marked ARRO on the cowl with Triton Motors Ltd Made in Canada on the leg (serial no 734229). The engine is air cooled Tecumseh with the numbers 643-03b and 6958707 on a plate. From what I've read it is around early 80s vintage. It had not run in some time and will be used strictly as a backup for my aging Johnson and a helper to get out of the shallows around our usual ramp.

It had not been run in quite some time. Lower unit was dry. I freed up any stuck mechanisms, found a new plug close enough and installed. Had no spark, cleaned up and adjusted the points. Spark tested and it passed with a nice sharp blue spark. I added lower unit oil and fuel and it fired right up.

A few days later I checked the lower unit oil and gas poured out! The fuel is somehow leaking into the lower unit. I noticed fuel coming from a few of the holes around the leg, I thought that was because I flooded it at one point and it was just draining through. But now I pull the gear oil plug and fuel pours out (dirty brown).

I have no manual for this motor (can't find one). I also understand and believe most if not all of the seals on this thing are likely no good.

So my questions are...

- How is it possible for fuel to leak through? Where would I start to look?

- From one google search I read that the lower ends on these things are often generic, possibly built by OMC? Anyone have any thoughts on this, and/or how would I ID it? Knowing that would really help on finding parts.

- The impeller is so old and baffed it essentially is a sleeve with bits of black in the cavity (right behind the prop). If I had dimensions of the shaft, cavity and depth would there be a cross reference to a "generic" impeller?

- Any leads on where i'd find parts?

I have no plans to invest huge amounts on money on this but it does appear to run very well (albeit for the short test bursts), so it is worth a try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance...Mark

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: arro triton 5.5hp outboard fuel in lower unit

OK, so me not willing to leave well enough alone I continued pulling things apart. After pulling the leg from the motor it appears the fuel is running out from around the output shaft. I then pulled the carb off and when the fuel is turned on it freely flows out a small hole on the mounting face near the fuel inlet. There is a corresponding hole on themounting face on the motor which appears to pulse vacuum when the motor is turned over. Is it correct to assume this is vacuum drive for a fuel pump in the carb, and the leak is because the pump diaphragm is no good?

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did get the fuel leak issue sorted...man not having a manual makes these things harder to do. There is a little rubber "tube" in the bore that does the fuel pump duties. I didn't see it initially because of the gasket in the way, but finally saw it on a motor breakdown image. It has a few tears in it. So armed with a part number I'm going to try to find a new one today.

The next challenge is sourcing an impeller. It is right behind the prop on the prop shaft. The dimensions seem like they would be 9/16" shaft, 1/2" deep, 1 3/4" outer diameter. It is driven by two "tabs" on its sleeve that mate with two tabs on the back of the prop, with a pin through the shaft spinning both.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the lead Gerry. Been trying to get in to that group and it appears to either be closed or inaccessible.

PS: I hope the lakes have melted for you...took a while down here in orillia!

carholme

Rear Admiral

No, we won't have boats in the water for a few weeks yet. It was a terrible winter.

Gerry