Scott-McCulloch 3.6 Not Pumping Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxchevyman

Seaman
I have a Wizard 3.6 hp made by Scott-McCulloch. I recently got it running and it runs pretty good just doesn?t pump water. I took the lower unit apart and the Rotor type pump looks old but still intact, the little leg is still there and it seems to make contact with the sides. So then I took the power head off and chucked a drill up to the drive shaft and ran it but I didn?t see anything coming up through the water tube, which was clean. So it certainly points to a water pump being bad.

So I guess my question is do these Rotor style pumps go bad to the point of not pumping water at all? Or do you guys think I have another problem going on here?

Thanks a bunch
James

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Scott-McCulloch 3.6 Not Pumping Water

James: I'm not a hundred percent on this advice since it's been a while since I worked on this type. I do have the same motor and a number of similar motors that use that type pump. I had the same problem and if memory serves me well enough there are two positions that the impeller can go and only one of them works. It's been a while since I worked on them but I remember the position I placed it in the first time looked like the logical one but it wasn't. As for the impeller. That type doesn't seem to wear out like others due to how it operates. As long as it's not dry rotted you're probably good to go.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The rubber rotor should touch the inside of the housing at some point, and there should be a space on the opposite side. The inside of the rotor should be a close fit on the eccentric cam. The tab should be reasonably close fit in the channel it fits into. The height should be the same as the depth of the cavity. The cavity and anti-cavitation plate should be free of excessive wear. The a/c plate should not be upside down. And yes, the rubber rotor should be right side up (it's tapered).

If all this is correct, it will work.

BTW, if you watch that space on one side of the rotor as you slowly turn the shaft, you will see it progress from one side (intake), around to the other side (discharge), and dis-appear, only to re-appear at the intake side. That space takes in a gulp of water at the intake side, and moves it around to the discharge side, forcing it up the water tube when the space dis-appears. The tab does NOT do the pumping, only separates the intake from the discharge and keeps the rotor from spinning.

boxchevyman

Seaman

Hey guys thanks so much for the help. I think I have it inserted right, I just don't know whats wrong perhaps is just worn in certain places?

To better show what I have going on, I took a video. Maybe you guys can catch something that I'm missing?

Here are some pictures of the pump housing and associate parts:
IMG_20140426_174547.jpg
IMG_20140426_174608.jpg
IMG_20140426_174711.jpg

Thanks
James

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.