Tracker 9.9 that won't take acceleration

wilbanks51

Recruit
I have a tracker 9.9 (1996) that has run like a top until i put it in the water this year. It started fine, but I have to choke the motor to get it to run at all. With the choke in, it will run at a certain speed, but wants to die if I give it more gas or let up on the throttle. It has me confused, like i said, it has run good up until now.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tracker 9.9 that won't take acceleration

unless you drained the gas out of the carb it sounds like its gummed up. Id clean it.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you honestly need to remove carb fully. Drain the bowl and shut card cleaner over everything. Then concentrate on shotting cleaner into the small holes in carb as these are jets. You should have 2-3 of them.

G

Is there a way to clean without taking the carb. off/out? I'm not that handy.

you can try running seafoam through it. I do not think Seafoam is a complete fix but more like a temp fix

wilbanks51

Recruit

you can try running seafoam through it. I do not think Seafoam is a complete fix but more like a temp fix

I started and ran yesterday (just idled) for an hour without dying. When I took it out and put it under a load, it wanted to die. Why would it idle but not take the load. I would think that it would have a tendency to die when not given much gas?

thanks alot for your help

G

I started and ran yesterday (just idled) for an hour without dying. When I took it out and put it under a load, it wanted to die. Why would it idle but not take the load. I would think that it would have a tendency to die when not given much gas?

thanks alot for your help
the passages in the carb are gummed. It lets a little bit of gas through but when you open throttle it does not let more in

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Again
Your carb is clogged.
If you can't remove it
You need to burn about 1/2 gallon of Sea Form and a gallon or so of hi-test gas
You have to burn the deposits out