1953 Firestone 7.5

pnchopwr

Recruit
First off, great forum. I've found lots of information about this motor in the last 48 hours searching through these pages. I acquired a 1953 Firestone 7.5 HP motor the other day. I didn't really know a whole lot about it, except that it hadn't ran since the early 90's when it was put in to storage. Searching on here, I've found how to decipher the model number, found links to guys that may be able to get parts if I need them, how to swap the original coils out to something more updated, found a link for a service manual, etc, etc, etc. I also found what seems to be a really great community of vintage outboard enthusiasts.

That being said, I was working on said motor tonight, and noticed that it wasn't getting any spark. I started to the dig down to the points figuring they might be the culprit. Sure enough, they were. All gunked and carboned up from years of not being used. Cleaned them up, regapped them, and proceeded to put the flywheel back on. As I Was tightening the crank nut, something awful happened. The nut was almost down to the face of the flywheel, I heard a snap, and my wrench went flying out of my hand. The threaded part of the crank snapped off, I hadn't even put much pressure on the nut yet to tighten it.

My question is, is there anyway I can drill and tap the crank to hold the flywheel on with a bolt? The threaded part of the crank looks is 3/8". If I drilled and tapped it to accept a 1/4" grade 8 bolt, would this be enough to hold everything in place? Any other suggestions?

I look forward to reading your responses, and I thank you in advance for any input.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: 1953 Firestone 7.5

No,that won't work. If it lets go it could hit ya and really hurt ya bad! Short of finding another crank I think you are out if luck. Unless someone else knows how to weld it and re-tap it corectly.:blue:

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

At this point you got nothing to lose. Crank is very hard. It maybe impossible to drill and tap. Give it a try!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind the flywheel key positions the flywheel and the torque on the Flywheel"nut" is 500 inch pounds to keep the flywheel in position.
Later models did use a flywheel screw set at 400 inch lbs.I do think your asking a lot from the screw to keep the broken crank ridged.

Last edited: