5hp Gale built Seaking Rebuild

Cvas828

Recruit
Model # GG18732B
Serial # 36X877796

Recently acquired this motor has good compression and spark. Pulled powerhead and dropped lower unit.

Parts list that I am looking to purchase:

Head gasket
Impeller
Water pump gasket

Lower seals in prop housing look fine but would like to have spares.
I was wondering if there was a diagram available for LU I only see one gasket at the water pump and I'm not sure if there are supposed to be more. I did not find a gasket in between the lower and upper half of the LU when it dropped not sure if it should have one there or not. If there are any other seals or gaskets I should check or replace fee free to chime in.

Was curious to know what would be the best way to clean prop housing gears and shafts...Brake cleaner? WD40?

Any help finding compatible parts would be great.

Thank you in advance.

64osby

Admiral
Re: 5hp Gale built Seaking Rebuild

Cvas - F_R is the site guru for Gales. There are a few others that also have tremendous knowledge. Hopefully they will chime in.

Pictures can help.

Most of the Gales match up part wise to the Johnsons / Evinrudes of the same year or slightly earlier. The big thing for the head gasket is to look at the hole and cooling passages to match up the proper gasket.

It has been quite a while since I working on my old one and can't find any info in my computer files.

Also Welcome to iboats.:joyous:

Cvas828

Recruit
Re: 5hp Gale built Seaking Rebuild

64osby,

Thanks for your help. I researched this motor a bit and found that it is equivalent to a Gale built 5D18, which uses the same lower unit as a 61-63 Johnson/Evinrude CDL-19 or CD-19. My model number does not match anything in the Gale manual but all the diagrams for the 5D18 (J/E CD-19) match what I have. "MarineEngine" website seemed to be the best place to match the diagrams to the parts list and parts list to part numbers. My intent here is to post my restoration with pics in hopes it will help someone with the same motor. I will post back when parts arrive.

Thanks again,

cvas