Sears Gamefisher 15 - 1989? 1999? - gear oil, etc

Hello All.

New boat owner here...Kinda excited, but also a little intimidated.

My father-in-law left us a 14' Duranatic with a 15 HP gamefisher outboard on it. I see all kinds of info on the web, but I am unsure of what applies to this motor...Force? Chrysler?

Model: 225.581501
serial: 4485

I am not sure what year this thing is...the title for the motor says 1999, but I think that may be incorrect. I changed the impeller and the gear lube since it had been setting in Texas for the past 5 years.

I used this impeller:
Sears Gamefisher 9 9 15 HP Water Pump Impeller Model Number 225 | eBay

I drained the lube...it looked OK and filled it with gear lube. I greased all the linkages and changed the spark plugs.

When I run it in a barrel, it seems there is ALOT of white looking foamy grease in the water...
looking into the water when it is running, I see air bubbles and possibly those white greasy foam coming from a small hole - maybe 1/16" diameter or more - in the side of the gear housing....does this indicate a problem? I would not expect all this gunk from a few minutes of running.

Is there a "pee" hole on this unit? The only water I see spraying is from the exhaust relief ports.

Thanks for any and all help!

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sears Gamefisher 15 - 1989? 1999? - gear oil, etc

1989 Force made gamefisher. No pee hole it should spray from exhaust and can you post a pic of the foam.:joyous:

I think I know where the oil foam is coming from. The gear casing, inside, on the main shaft. When I replaced the water pump impeller, I noticed the shift linkage has a badly damaged seal, as well as the seals on the main shaft above and below the impeller. I ordered a gasket kit today.

DO i need to split the gear housing to replace the seal that is located under the impeller? The kit has all the gaskets, so since I have time and it's apart now, I think I will replace everything I have a new one for. Any tips?

Asside from the gear oil in the water, I noticed two other things...one, it appears to miss occasionally. I am going to service the carb to see if that helps.

second, when I put it in gear, the motor really bogs down, the prop starts to turn immediately. Should it turn as soon as it is engaged? I notice a clutch in the drawings....

Thanks! PS. Here is the engine.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 1991 force 9.9 and i have experienced the same problems before... you got to clean the fuel pump on it... go buy a can of carb cleaner and take apart the fuel pump. spray that pump and gaskets and put it back together and start it up.

also, get some new sparkplugs. the foam crap you see is something that comes from the exhaust. whenever i run mine in a test barrel it always does that. idk why but no problems. but when i keep it at my dock for the summer in a saltmarsh i never see that stuff.

good luck!!! post if u have any other questions.

Note: mercury marine made the force motors for certain years. I think late 80's on... force is the same thing as gamefisher just how mercury labeled it.

i have a 1991 force 9.9 and i have experienced the same problems before... you got to clean the fuel pump on it... go buy a can of carb cleaner and take apart the fuel pump. spray that pump and gaskets and put it back together and start it up.

also, get some new sparkplugs. the foam crap you see is something that comes from the exhaust. whenever i run mine in a test barrel it always does that. idk why but no problems. but when i keep it at my dock for the summer in a saltmarsh i never see that stuff.

good luck!!! post if u have any other questions.

Note: mercury marine made the force motors for certain years. I think late 80's on... force is the same thing as gamefisher just how mercury labeled it.

Thanks for all the info guys. Before I got this reponse, I pulled off the lower unit (again) and checked for oil. Sure enough, gear oil foam all over the water pump. I went ahead and tore the lower unit down, cleaned everything and replaced all the seals and gaskets. Air pressure tested it under water and have no leaks!
Now it shifts really easy without much effort and not much crap in the water.

I ran it at the lake last weekend @ 50:1 and I didnt notice any misfires or anything. It did seem like I couldnt turn the throttle all the way around, so possibly not getting up the full power. I have a tach now and will report back RPM at idle neutral, idle in gear and full throttle. If I am not getting 6000RPM at full, is there an adjustment or do I need to change my prop?

thanks all!