Gale Sea King 15hp Parts

gheez

Recruit
Hello everyone, and thank you for all the information provided here. I have a 1961 Gale Sea King 15hp "GG18737" ( with no A,B,C,D after model number). The motor runs good. Looking under the hood it looks like the previous owner has done some maintenance over the years. The high and low speed adjustments didn't make a difference when turned, and the motor is hard to start at times. Compression and spark are good, using 24:1 fuel mix. I assume there may be a carburetor issue. I have a manual but no part numbers. Do I need to pull all my parts and match them up or is there a part # for a carburetor kit, impeller kit, and a 9" diameter x 10" pitch propeller (edges are chipped bad)? Not much help from the local marine repair guys. There telling me they need to tear it apart to find out what parts are in it, "For a fee of course". I want to do my own work on this motor. Any thoughts or suggestions before I start this project are appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Gale Sea King 15HP.jpg
    Gale Sea King 15HP.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gale Sea King 15hp Parts

I have a 63 Gale 15; I've had it for years. It's a great running motor. You won't have a problem getting parts, especially carb, impeller and a prop. Search on-line as there are a number of parts outlets. Parts should match up with Evinrude and Johnsons pretty much. You might even be able to find them on this site. Do your own work and forget about repair shops. They won't want to work on it and they'll charge you more than the motor is worth if they do.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gale Sea King 15hp Parts

Send me a PM including your e-mail address and I'll reply with the parts book for your motor. If you go to the local Evinrude dealer (or on-line) with part numbers in hand, there should be no problem. All he has to do is put them on his next order and collect your money.

EDIT: BTW, it may very well have bad coils. They are to be expected in that vintage and will cause hard starting, even though it "has spark". New ones are available right here at iboats. Use same year 18hp Evinrude for the part number to order.

Last edited: