1959 Elgin questions, 5 1/2 HP West Bend model...

IAoldOB

Recruit
I just picked this up for a couple of bucks ($12.50) at an auction. It's one of the white-and-orange models, the last year (I think) of the West Bend models. (571.59541) Reportedly been unused for a few years. Supposedly ran. The motor wasn't frozen, it turned freely, perhaps a little too so. Someone had painted 32:1 on the motor. Not a good sign.

I compression checked it, dry first then wet, both cylinders were even, but only about 48 psi. I used my el cheapo Harbor Freight checker to do it, I bought the kit several years ago and have only used it a few times.

What do you think? Proceed with evaluation, or do I have a parts motor?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1959 Elgin questions, 5 1/2 HP West Bend model...

I have a 57 and 58 12 hp. Elgins. The last time I used my 57 (many years ago) I ran it at almost full throttle for 6 hours straight. I like these motors. Mine are similar to yours but that's not the point. They're tough motors. Before you relegate it to a parts motor give it chance and fire it up. That compression gauge may be off and the fact that both cylinders are the same is a positive. (ps: you beat me on the price. I paid 15 and 25 for mine).

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Also, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the 32 to 1. It's not too far off of the mixture you'd want. Also, today's TCW oils are better than the old 30W outboard oil of the days when these motors were made. This may compensate for a bit of the oil / gas mixture. Also, like most motors they're probably not used much.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Often a decarb treatment with Sea Foam will free the rings and help compression.Just follow the directions on the container.
By the way my after market service manual says Compression at cranking speed is 55 psi.So your not too bad off,might actually be 55
if your gauge is suspect.
Oil ratio is 16:1 Champion H10J plugs at 030, Point gap .020, 7 1/2" X 7" prop. Tillotson MD,MT Carb.

Last edited:

IAoldOB

Recruit

Thanks guys, awesome info. I'll decarb as soon as I get it running. Next I used an inexpensive in-line spark tester to see if I have spark. I do, but one looks weaker than the other. Both were orange, inside the tester. Anyone have any info on removing the flywheel? I'm going to inspect and possibly replace the coils and clean the points before I try to fire'er up...
Ken

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

The coils are hard to come by and $$. If you have the shiny black WICO coils and they're not cracked there's a good chance they'll still work. From what you've described it looks like they do. Not guaranteed but try them first. On these motors that use the WICO coils (other makes also) I usually try to do an OMC coil transplant. I don't think you can with this particular motor due to clearance. I recently worked on my 57 Elgin 12 and had spark to only one cylinder. I found that after 'dressing' the points and trimming the spark plug wire at the coil and cleaning out old wire residue inside the coil connection (very important to check) I had great spark. Old residue will keep the wire from making good contact inside the coil. As for the flywheel; it should come off fairly easily like any other outboard flywheel. I know I'm about to get yelled at but I have used a 3 point (finger) wheel puller; gently; on dozens of motors without a problem. Others will tell you that you can break the flywheel (and you probably can) but that's what I have and what I use. I'm not recommending my type of puller. On the plus side these motors have a very thick and tough flywheel.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes the little motors can be done without a puller.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes the little motors can be done without a puller.

I've never gotten a flywheel off with a steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller. I just replace the nut or bolt that holds it one with a spare, gently pry up on the flywheel, and whack the nut/bolt real good with a hammer. The shock breaks the taper lock. It works every time but it's kind of scary hitting it like that.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There you go nothing to it.
Years ago on a Corvair I used a plate from the rear motor mount and a couple of bolts to pull the harmonic balancer.

nwcove

Admiral

Thanks guys, awesome info. I'll decarb as soon as I get it running. Next I used an inexpensive in-line spark tester to see if I have spark. I do, but one looks weaker than the other. Both were orange, inside the tester. Anyone have any info on removing the flywheel? I'm going to inspect and possibly replace the coils and clean the points before I try to fire'er up...
Ken

sounds like you are using one of those neon testers, ditch that for this purpose and get a cheap open air adjustable tester. less than $10 for that tool.

joeaksa

Recruit
Hope you do not mind my asking how things went on the 1959 model motor you are asking about?

Was at a garage sale and found a 1957 model Elgin and thats what brought me to this thread. Its also one of the "white and orange" models and in fair shape.

We are in Phoenix Arizona so not much use for a motor like this hear and the gent who is selling it says it was his Fathers "many years ago" and he has no idea how long its been since it was run.