Gamefisher 7.5 217585920 Outboard Motor HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbog526

Cadet
I enherited a Gamefisher 7.5 21758590 that has been sitting most of its life. I believe its a 1977 made by Eska. The gas tank has internal rust. How do i repair this? From start to finish what do I need to do to get the motor running? Where can I find a free PDF file of a repair manual and owner's manual? Can anyone help me?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Gamefisher 7.5 217585920 Outboard Motor HELP

i have a manual shoot me a PM with your email and I will send it. as far as the tank goes, those motors are set up for an external tank as well. You should see a male fitting on the right by the tiller.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Gas tank should be easy to remove and clean out. Toss in a handful of nails and shake it for a few minutes. Then dump the nails out, rinse the loose rust out, fill with white vinegar and soak for a couple of days.

Last edited:

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Thorough carb clean, (replace fuel pump element), new impeller in the lower u. You have a solid state magneto under the fly wheel - Do NOT turn it over without the plugwire being grounded. I'd check for spark first - if the magneto is dead, you may or may not want to pursue it, although, it is do-able.

Last edited:

jimbog526

Cadet

Thanks for all of the replies. I will be diving into the project outboard next week and will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for all of the help!

jimbog526

Cadet

Can someone please email a copy of the service manual to my PM inbox? Edited email. I would appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

jimbog526

Cadet

How do I test that the magneto works?

Last edited:

rspeir

Recruit

How do I test that the magneto works?

1. DO NOT TURN THE MOTOR OVER WITH SPARK PLUG LEAD DISCONNECTED. IT CAN BURN OUT YOUR IGNITION SYSTEM

2. Make a spark plug tester by wrapping several turns of copper wire around the threads of a spark plug (something like 14 gauge house wire works great), and attach the other end of the wire to a good ground, well secured underneath a screw, bolt, etc. attached to the frame. WITH THE HIGH TENSION LEAD CONNECTED TO THE SPARK PLUG TESTER, turn the motor over rapidly. If you see a spark jump the plug gap=good magneto. No spark=bad magneto.

jimbog526

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I got spark. Woohoo! I got the motor to crank up for a second when I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb. That's telling me the carb is not getting any fuel. I rebuilt the carb and installed a new pull cord. Can anyone tell me how to set the carb correctly?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the reply. I got spark. Woohoo! I got the motor to crank up for a second when I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb. That's telling me the carb is not getting any fuel. I rebuilt the carb and installed a new pull cord. Can anyone tell me how to set the carb correctly?
It tells you step by step in the manual I sent you.:joyous:

jimbog526

Cadet

Thanks brim buster! I was able to get the motor to run woohoo! Can you tell me why is fuel splashing out of the top of the carb? What did I do wrong when rebuilding the carb?

jimbog526

Cadet

I adjusted the float and seat in the carb and it stopped the fuel. Next issue that I can't figure out to save my life. I cannot get the motor to go into forward gear. Can someone give me some ideas for what to do and how to repair? What to look for? etc. Thanks again for everyone's help.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

check your clutch lever. Might not be engaging all the way. Might need adjusted.

Last edited:

jimbog526

Cadet

How do I adjust the clutch without pulling the engine apart? The manuals that I received are not the correct ones for my motor. They have helped tremendously through the other issues with motor but they don't say anything about adjusting the clutch on this 217858920 outboard. Thanks for your help brim_buster.

rspeir

Recruit

How do I adjust the clutch without pulling the engine apart? The manuals that I received are not the correct ones for my motor. They have helped tremendously through the other issues with motor but they don't say anything about adjusting the clutch on this 217858920 outboard. Thanks for your help brim_buster.

I have this exact same motor. Can you pull the clutch lever all the way toward the front, so it's horizontal?
Basically it's just a little pawl made out of a circular steel fitting that's ground at an angle. It just barely clears the dog on the clutch mechanism that connects between the motor and the lower unit shaft. When you pull the lever forward, the dog swings around and hits the clutch pawl, which engages the clutch. Both my clutch pawl and the clutch dog were very battered from smashing together (normal operation!), but seemed to work. Wish I still had it apart, I'd take photos and show you what it looks like.

There is no actual adjustment for the thing, BTW. In addition to the shaft that goes through the lower unit side and actuates the clutch, it also has a rod that sticks up through the bottom of the ignition plate, and makes it so that you can't start the motor in gear accidentally. It may be that you need to move the tiller throttle a bit more to clear this rod, and it will shift into gear. Hope that's the problem.

Naturally, Sears doesn't support it any more, and it's such a specialized part, I don't know where you'd find another one.

I'm one more test from giving up on my ignition, and pulling the powerhead, and putting a Harbor Freight 5.5 HP motor on the thing, and calling it good. Spent far too much time and $$ on the thing trying to get it to run. :grumpy:

Good Luck with yours!

EddieZod

Recruit
would you guys mind sending me the manual as well? I have the same motor and I'm just starting to work on it. I'd really appreciate it!

Eddie

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Those Solid state ignitions are the death of these motors. Wish they had points,condensor etc

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Jimbog526: your motor is a 78 or 79 and it should cover that motor. As far as it being precise on how to fix everything its like every other manual I have. I have a bunch and it never fails that it will tell you kinda how to fix something but vague.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.