Sea King/Clinton K700 Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, since I got the ol' Gale up and running nicely and put up for winter storage, thought I'd go over my original outboard motor, the Sea King/Clinton K700.

Earlier, I'd put some fuel line on it, cleaned the carb and fogged the cylinders. Even though it was still pumping water (not sure how now), thought I'd go through the l/u too.

Removing the lower unit, a little easier than on the Gale. Just remove the two fasteners and the lower unit pops off.

Water pump just held on with two bolts.

Not sure how it was pumping any water, but it never overheated...

Removing the roll pin, and up she slides.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sea King/Clinton K700 Repair

On to the gearcase.

All that's needed is to remove the 4 bolts. Notice this particular l/u has no drain or vent plugs. Not sure how to fill it, but the manual says to use gear oil. Thought was to turn it upside down and fill it up.

And here was the first surprise, not what I expected to see...

Starting to clean it up and removed the prop shaft. There is another roll pin in the gear that needs removed. My thought is that it was leaking with oil, and instead of replacing the seals (which I'll do), they just stuck grease in there?

Is it supposed to have grease?

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While I had it that far, figured I'd look at the top half too, make sure all was well and check the lower crank seal. Remove the 6 bolts from underneath, the fuel line and the spark advance shaft and up she pops.

The clutch broke on me shortly after I got it, so it's a start and go now.

Seal looks good, this is what I need for my k500 parts motor to get it running, if anyone knows where to get one.

A peek in the cylinder reveals the hatching is still there, and the piston looks great too. Lots of life left in this engine.

So after cleaning, I do have a little problem. The grease didn't seem to make it up the shaft to the brass bushings, and though its still tight, will have to keep an eye on it.

I do have another l/u from the parts k500, but don't know if it is the same.

But am off to search for some parts, have already ordered an impeller, and will get some new seals and should be good to go..

Last edited:

fishdady

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, had one of these engines given to me. Clean up the points and she fired up. About to do the same things you just showed me how to do. Thanks again, fishdady

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, had one of these engines given to me. Clean up the points and she fired up. About to do the same things you just showed me how to do. Thanks again, fishdady
Do you need a service manual? I have one in PDF format if you would like a copy..

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem! Glad to have helped.

Got mine back together today, should be good to go now, but didn't get to test it.

Parts. Two seals, new #8 o-ring, new impeller and new 3/32 x 3/4" roll pins. Had to buy in bulk of 100, but were only $6.

First was the prop shaft seal.

Then the drive shaft seal. Sockets seemed to get used more as seal drivers than actual sockets sometimes...

Installed.

Next up was driveline installation.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Driveshaft installed.

Then the prop shaft. I believe the rear spacer is flipped backwards, I think the big end should go against the bearing, but that is the way it came out, so that's how I put it back.

Filled with gear oil, though I did go back and read the manual and saw that these did come with either grease or gear oil. I'm going to try the gear oil, I think it would flow to the bushings on the shaft better than grease.

All sealed up and ready for the w/p.

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Installing the impeller. Used a small prick to get the holes lined up, drove the pin in the other side and it pushed the prick out.

Next was replacing the o-ring in the pump housing.

The small prick came in handy again here, for removal and installation.

All that was left was to slide the pump on, making sure the impeller was bending in the correct direction, had to put the prop back on to see which way it turned. Bolted everything down, and to make sure the w/p tube is correctly lined up to the pump, it can easily be seen up through the lower exhaust outlet.

All back together!

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I was able to find a better scan in my old original copy of the service manual, and indeed that spacer between the gear and the bushing is backwards. The big end should be facing the bushing.

I'll have to switch mine around...

Last edited:

fishdady

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, my friend, you have luck like mine. Since I got my manual, I've found things missing, nothing major, but, I've found it's part of workin' on these older engines.

7lemons

Recruit

Hi all, this is my first post. I just got my first boat, a starer boat which is a 14 foot aluminum boat (semi-v) from the 60's. It has a non working outboard, the same model discussed in this thread, Sea King K700 2106A (Wards). It has spark and compression (checking fuel next) and I'm just digging into it and need the manual. Can anyone help me find it? it was mentioned above about a PDF. How can I get that?

Thanks very much.

John

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carbs on these are pretty simple.

Here it is removed.

Carb bowl off.

And finally the float and inlet needle removed.

Count the turns from seated of the mixture screws before removal. I can't remember what they are initially set at from seated, but I could find that in my manual and post it if needed. Believe the power jet comes off with its holder when the bowl is removed...

Last edited:

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks as if you got the tiger by the tail,so to speak.Very good informative thread,& great pics.But I do have a question for you.This motor is somewhat like the Eska 7.5 I'm working on,and I noticed your carb.has a bowl as well.Is your tank above the carb.like mine?And if so,why does it require a fuel pump? I'm assuming it's a 2 stroke motor,but it's built like a 4 stroke,with carb.bowl,float,needle,etc.Thax

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, mine is a remote tank setup.

And yea, pretty much the same. Just the oil is fed through the carb instead. Could be some jetting differences or something between the two.

Last edited:

rontot

Recruit

Do you need a service manual? I have one in PDF format if you would like a copy..

Hi!

Could I get a copy of the manual also? I have just picked up an old Seaking K700.

Thanks,
Ron

Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Speakrdude

Ensign

Naturelover, I have the same almost (7.5hp) Wards Seaking as you do.
Can I ask you a couple of questions concerning the carb?
The books show a rubber seat in the fuel/float needle. Mine didn't have. Not sure if it needs or not.
Also, right below the idle mixture, someone has drilled a hole and screwed a sheet metal screw in, maybe to stop the mixture from unscrewing as it was missing the spring.
The tape is worn enough on the throttle lever, so I cant see what position is what. Is there a slow enough idle to get it into gear before it dies? Is there an electronic stop?
Thanks for your help!
Jim

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gHmm, I don't think mine has a rubber seat, but can't remember. Might look at the inlet needle for a rubber tip. If it has one, then it probably seals against a metal seat. Looks like mine does in the pic above, but think I have a parts carb I can look at.

And mine is pull the choke to stop. I can turn the handle all the way back to idle and it will idle off the idle screw. It shouldn't die when you turn the handle all the way back, sounds like there is some idle mixture screw problems. I'd get a spring behind it so that it stays in one position.

Also make sure the screw that was drilled and put in below the idle wasn't drilled into a carb passage or something, as this could cause an air leak and disturb the mixture..

Last edited:

Speakrdude

Ensign

It absolutely was drilled into the idle mixture vent tube. I will plug off.

Thanks, Jim

suprhunter

Recruit

This is a great thread! I just bought one of these motors today and was a little worried about servicing it. Is there any way someone could email me the service manual and or an owners manual. Thanks Brian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.