Ted Williams 7.5hp worth?

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few years ago I was given an early 70's model Ted Williams 7.5hp air cooled motor, its got good spark and strong compression but I don't have a tank for it, and have no real need for a motor this size.
It fires on fuel mix sprayed in the carb and appearance wise its about a 7 o 8 I guess. The props is good, the lower unit oil is clean, and it fires up fast with just a shot of fuel.
I've got no idea what to ask for it. If it were a water cooled OMC of this size I'd figure around $450 or so, maybe more during the spring, but I've got no clue on these little things.
I do like how light it is, but I like my four stroke and most likely will never use this one.
I'm thinking maybe $250 to $300 or so?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ted Williams 7.5hp worth?

just sold a 75 Clinton for 125.00. It ran great. Dont think you will get much more than that. Had a 76 gamefisher (eska) sold it a couple years ago for 125.00. Its the same as your Teddy. I live in Ga. where there is alot of rivers and people with flat bottom alum boats which those work great on so they sell quick. Might be different where you live though.:joyous:

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

I have two air cooled motors. One is a 60's Clinton Apache 5 hp that may have been used once or twice before I got it. It came without a tank. It runs great and I use it for a back up motor. I paid $25 for it. The other is a 61 Elgin 5 that runs great but the recoil later went. I paid $30 for it. My take is that these air cooled motors are decent runners but they don't command much $. If you could get $100 for it; I'd take it. When you get to the $150 - 250 range you're starting to compete with the same era OMC's which are much more desirable.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have two air cooled motors. One is a 60's Clinton Apache 5 hp that may have been used once or twice before I got it. It came without a tank. It runs great and I use it for a back up motor. I paid $25 for it. The other is a 61 Elgin 5 that runs great but the recoil later went. I paid $30 for it. My take is that these air cooled motors are decent runners but they don't command much $. If you could get $100 for it; I'd take it. When you get to the $150 - 250 range you're starting to compete with the same era OMC's which are much more desirable.

twocycle, I need to shop in your area I guess, I just sold a 1984 9.9hp Evinrude with a fresh repaint on it for $1500 cash, it wasn't listed for an hour when the first person to show up bought it.
Those Eska built motors are hit or miss when it comes to resale, it takes a guy that really prefers an air cooled motor or someone that needs a super light motor. Those are probably less than half the weight of a comparable Evinrude.
When the Eska motors are 100%, and kept out of saltwater they're not bad at all on a smaller boat. I ran one for a few years on a 12' jon boat. I replaced it with a little Merc 100 and wished I had kept the Eska, the added weight was too much for that little boat. It was faster but no longer fun or safe.
My old Eska 7.5hp used to start real easy, one or two pulls and it was ready to go.
The guy I bought mine from had it mounted on a bracket up front on his boat, since it could just spin around in any direction it was great for shallow water and creeks.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

twocycle, I need to shop in your area I guess, I just sold a 1984 9.9hp Evinrude with a fresh repaint on it for $1500 cash, it wasn't listed for an hour when the first person to show up bought it.
Those Eska built motors are hit or miss when it comes to resale, it takes a guy that really prefers an air cooled motor or someone that needs a super light motor. Those are probably less than half the weight of a comparable Evinrude.
When the Eska motors are 100%, and kept out of saltwater they're not bad at all on a smaller boat. I ran one for a few years on a 12' jon boat. I replaced it with a little Merc 100 and wished I had kept the Eska, the added weight was too much for that little boat. It was faster but no longer fun or safe.
My old Eska 7.5hp used to start real easy, one or two pulls and it was ready to go.
The guy I bought mine from had it mounted on a bracket up front on his boat, since it could just spin around in any direction it was great for shallow water and creeks.
down here an evin 9.9 in that year fetches about a grand, to totally different motors. Id post it for 200 and let them low ball ya to 150.:joyous:

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

brim: I'm heading to Georgia with motors to sell. In comparison to your 9.9; about a year or so ago I sold my mid-70's 15 Johnson (no salt use) in excellent running condition (recoil broken however) for 375. Most of the 9.9 and 15's of that era bring around the 400 -700 range in my area. Once in a while you can luck out if you're fast when someone lists one even cheaper. On the other hand a motor like yours for 1500 wouldn't get a bite at that price range. Forgot to mention the other air cooled I got for $10. A great running 5 hp Eska Golden Jet (or Arrow).

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

brim: I'm heading to Georgia with motors to sell. In comparison to your 9.9; about a year or so ago I sold my mid-70's 15 Johnson (no salt use) in excellent running condition (recoil broken however) for 375. Most of the 9.9 and 15's of that era bring around the 400 -700 range in my area. Once in a while you can luck out if you're fast when someone lists one even cheaper. On the other hand a motor like yours for 1500 wouldn't get a bite at that price range. Forgot to mention the other air cooled I got for $10. A great running 5 hp Eska Golden Jet (or Arrow).

:).......Id buy a 10.00 Eska all day by the truck load. Down here on the ogeechee river you cant go past the steel bridge with anything bigger than a 9.9. they are popular as anything. They swap carbs and props or take a 15 and put a 9.9 cowling on them. The canoochee river on my end is shallow and narrow where a 4-8 hp works great.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up a 7.5hp air cooled Gamefisher last summer for $150 and thought I got a deal, it looked like new, had great compression but no spark. I repaired the ignition module under the flywheel and its been a great motor. I carry it under the bow on my 16' boat and use it as a back up motor in case the main engine dies. It starts easy, runs great, and is super light.
I found mine as a flea market, the guy had it marked $400, I got it for $150 at the end of the day. Knowing what I know now about those I'd probably have paid more for it. The ability to stow a light, but fairly strong spare motor under the deck is priceless.
I actually made a wooden tray that it slides up into dead center beneath the bow, its out of the way and there if I need it. Mine has the tank on top, which is perfect for my purposes. I hang it on the back every so often just to exercise it and run some gas through it, it really surprised me how well it moves my boat.

Around here, all small motors bring good money, I sold a 1965 9.5hp last August for $900, a 1981 9.9hp Johnson for $1400, and a 1980's model 8hp Evinrude for $950. Anything in the 6 to 10hp range sells fast since we have several 9.9hp limit lakes here.

G

Congrats on that deal. You pretty much won the lottery. I purchased 2006 merc 4stroke 15hp for 1350 a month ago (condition 7/10) only issue is i gotta change the lu seals.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

FYI: Here's from today's and yesterday's craiglist listings in my area (of small motors): 79 Evin 9.9 runner $450 (pics showing it running on a boat); 79 Evin 8 needs carb work but looks clean $200; 90 8 Evin runner $500; newer Gamefisher 5 needs a little work $100; 8 Johnson (looks to be about late 80's) clean $400. These are normal prices in my area. There are at least a few listings almost daily around the same price range. Appearance wise they all look nice.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

im in the sfo bay area, california. ted williams will go for 125-150 for a fast sale. 200 and higher and i see it forever. i bought one for 30, and it ran great. sold it for 120 in ten minutes.
average going rate for a johnnyrude in good shape, 600-900. running fair shape 350-400. a fugly one 200.00. we have some salt water and fresh water motors so the fresh water motors fetch better money and of course the salty dogs go for cheap.

funny older mercs sell for less anything say older than the 86 go for cheap, 9.8 around 300. 90's 10/15 will get 700 - 900. of course if you have a yamaha then thats a different ball game.
dino

Last edited: