Martin 75

Seth_Martin

Cadet
I just picked up one of these motors don't know to much about it I took the carb apart completely cleaned and reassembled cleaned out the gas tank and just did a over all look around it so next I pulled the plugs made sure gap was right and check for spark I have spark on one but not the other. Everything I am reading is saying something in the magneto anyone give me a hand I am not familiar with this old of a motor any help would be awesome thanks

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Martin 75

Coils are most likely shot, new ones can be purchased from Russ Larson. Just Google Martin outboard parts and he will show up. He is about the only one selling most parts.

Read the other thread I started right below for more information.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Martin used two types of coils. One was sealed with orange shellac, and are almost bullet proof. The other ones were black stuff and you can almost bet they have disintegrated. Whichever the case may be, the breaker points are the most often cause of no spark in an otherwise good ignition system. Must be shiny bright clean and properly gapped.

Agreed, Russ is the man.

Seth_Martin

Cadet

Ok cool I am having trouble getting the top piece of the magneto off going to try a gear puller this week so I haven't really got in side to look at the points but the coils are the black ones almost looks like mold so I will get that all cleaned up and go from there and are the water pumps usually bad if it's been sitting for a while thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The top piece is a flywheel there are probably 3 screw holes around the center intended for pulling.
Use a harmonic balancer puller. with higrade bolts.Don't use a puller gripping the edge.

Seth_Martin

Cadet

Correct that's what I planned on doing hopefully the coils army bad and the points just need a good cleaning

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the water pump most likely cannot be trusted.

asdasc

The water pump in mine was toast and pieces were up under the power head. Hopefully, you won't be missing any pieces as you need to replace a handful of gaskets and o-rings once you pull the power head.

Seth_Martin

Cadet

Ok now does that water pump actually send water all the way up cause I heard some of the older motors just the bottom half where water cold

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I pumps water up through a tube to the powerhead, and it circulates through water jackets in the block and head, then discharged out with the exhaust.

That other thing you have been hearing about applies to Eskas and Clintons that used lawn mower engines. Not your Martin, which was a high quality motor.

Seth_Martin

Cadet

Ok cool thanks for the info my motor is in need of coils so me being me not wanting to pay 50 a piece from the website I got my owner manual out and started crossing numbers and come out to find a coil from OMC has anyone heRd or tried these SIERRA P-582995/584477 OMC IGN COIL - 18-5181 Thanks for any info

asdasc

Yes, those Sierra coils are what I used. You have to swap out the laminations from the Martin 75, but it's not hard.

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Martins were a outstanding little motor, but was only around for about 11 years. They had problems competing with OMC and Mercury. The final straw was a union strick that put them out of business. Parts are very accesable from Russ Larson. He owns most of the remaining inventory from the factory. I think he has enough to build brand new motors of some of the modles. These motors use poppet valves instead of ried valves like most 2 cycle engines. I own a 40, a 60, and a 75 Martin, as well as a few parts motors.

Last edited:

Seth_Martin

Cadet

Ok it's been a while but I finally got the motor running and seems to run pretty good the exhaust ports are spitting some water but I pulled the plate where the water pump is at and there is a lot of water and oil mixture so going to take that apart anyone done this before any pointers thanks

frobotz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My dad has one of these motors. Trying to find any info on them as for value, oil mixture, lower unit lube. Just basic info.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Russ Larson, previously mentioned. Then start a new topic. This one is two years old.

frobotz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry just found this thread while googling. Didn't see the date when I asked.