Eska 5hp questions

cbourbeau32

Seaman
Good morning all, this is my first post here but I've been reading some posts. I bought a 5HP Eska engine at an estate/garage sale from a guy I know here in my town for either $10 or $15 about a year ago I don't remember for sure. Anyway I decided to get it out and start tinkering with it to see if I could get it running (he said it ran when his dad stored it). It turns over and seems to have good compression but the pull rope recoil spring needs to be recoiled before I can do any serious attempts at starting. I cleaned about a pound of dirt dobber nests out of it and sanded the magneto and will attempt to see if she'll start soon. My questions are these.

1) There is a screw in the left hand center of the picture which I assume is the oil fill for the lower unit. If so what is the oil to be used?

2) The lower unit/prop area is dirty/oily so I assume this means that there is an oil leak. Is there an o-ring(s) or gasket(s) that need to be replaced and if so how to I get to them?

3) Is there a parts diagram or schematic for this engine somewhere that I can download?

Hopefully I've given enough info to get started.

Thanks in advance, Charlie motor.jpg

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Eska 5hp questions

can you post serial number and I have a repair manual in PDF format I can send you. Private message me your email and I will send you a copy. Knowing the serial number will help all of us try to help you better.:)

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Ok, I found two numbers on the tag which is stamped Clinton and I can't read the rest of the manufacturers name. I believe the serial number is 350981 and the model is j5001108a.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

J500 is a Clinton number. The J500 appeared in 70 and 71. Design changes are few.
It uses regular outboard gear lube.J13Y Champion plug,.025 plug gap.Point gap is .020.Aircooled power head,
with a water cooled leg. Water should mist out of the relief holes on the leg.
It may have fill and vent screws, may be on opposite sides.If only one hole it may need to lay on side for drain and fill.
If 2 screws you you fill through the drain hole till it comes out the vent hole.

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Just one question on the gear lube. The manual says to use 951-247 grease. Where do I find this or is there a substitute?

Thanks, Charlie

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just one question on the gear lube. The manual says to use 951-247 grease. Where do I find this or is there a substitute?

I don't recognize the number but it sounds like "corn head grease", available at any farm implement dealer. It's a special grease that stays in place if your seals are not quite perfect but acts like 90w gear lube when the parts are moving.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, Charlie
My 3 aftermarket manuals( 55-67,60-70 and 69-89 list SAE 90 or outboard gear lube.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 3 aftermarket manuals( 55-67,60-70 and 69-89 list SAE 90 or outboard gear lube.

mine too....even the one I sent to cbourbeau32 who started this. It says further down in the manual to use SAE 90

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Thanks brim buster. I took the bottom fin off of the motor which requires the removal of four screws and there is definitely grease down there. Is this different than filling with oil via the single screw a few inches above the bottom?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks brim buster. I took the bottom fin off of the motor which requires the removal of four screws and there is definitely grease down there. Is this different than filling with oil via the single screw a few inches above the bottom?
I would take the foot off since you need to check the water pump impellor any way and open the screw cap and tip it up and see if gear oil is in there.

tomhath

Also keep in mind that gear lube that's got some water in it can turn into a thick gooey mess. If it looks like clean grease then that's probably what it is, but if it looks like grayish mayonnaise it could be anything.

cbourbeau32

Seaman

OK, I got the engine shroud put back on after fixing the recoil starter and tested for fire using my spark tester and it doesn't test to have a spark so I guess I'm on to troubleshooting that. While I had the flywheel off I cleaned the magneto both on the flywheel and on the coil side. Is there something else I can do besides replacing the entire magneto/coil assembly?

Thanks, Charlie

cbourbeau32

Seaman

OK, I got the engine shroud put back on after fixing the recoil starter and tested for fire using my spark tester and it doesn't test to have a spark so I guess I'm on to troubleshooting that. While I had the flywheel off I cleaned the magneto both on the flywheel and on the coil side. Is there something else I can do besides replacing the entire magneto/coil assembly? OK, I'm amending this slightly after going back out and testing my spark tester on my lawnmower and then trying it again on the motor again and when I was holding the tester together tightly to be sure I got good contact while my nephew pulled the cord I got a pretty good jolt as I must have completed the circuit (just not enough to light the bulb in the tester). Are there other things I can do to get more fire such as cleaning or replacing the points or anything else?

Thanks, Charlie

Thanks, Charlie

tomhath

Are there other things I can do to get more fire such as cleaning or replacing the points or anything else?

Clean and gap the points first. If that doesn't help replace them and the condenser. Coil and plug wire too if you don't mind spending a little more. Getting a jolt like that could indicate the insulation on the plug wire is cracked.

Also make sure you have the correct spark plug. Used outboards usually have whatever plug the previous owner had on hand, which was often a plug for a lawnmower with a 4 stroke motor (different design than what a 2 stroke should have).

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Where can a person buy repair/replacement parts such as points/condensers/carb kit, etc for these Clinton/Eska engines? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Ok, I went out today and started tinkering with the engine again and I actually got my spark tester to light up for about two turns of the flywheel but then it would not light up any more. I can hold a screwdriver inserted into the spark plug wire and when I turn the flywheel I get bitten by the voltage but It doesn't feel like it's a full spark. Does this sound like something that might shed some light for some of you experts to help me identify what's up? Any help would be appreciated. By the way the points, plug, and both sides of the magneto have been sanded.

Thanks, Charlie

Last edited: