1969 Scott 60 hp Outboard Motor - Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice
I have the opportunity to purchase what I have been told is a 1969 Scott 60hp outboard motor and was wondering what peoples experience has been with them as I have never owned a Scott before. What do you think???:confused:

Thanks for the advice whatever it may be....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Scott 60 hp Outboard Motor - Reviews?

It truly would be a labor of love. Are you into restoring old motors, or interested in getting into the hobby? Don't you dare expect to make a bunch of money on it.

As for the motor itself, they are OK, but you have to realize that there were not tons of the 60hps made, like the mainline brands. Condition is EVERYTHING. There are parts out there, but you have to know where to look.

It would be an interesting project.

BTW, you might want to check in at the Antique Outboard Club if you take on the project. The Antique Outboard Motor Club Website - AOMCI.org

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks FR. The motor I found is in real good condition. Ran last summer and was switched out by its owner for a lower HP motor for trolling the lake. Was recently gone through by mechanic so should be decent starting off point. I was mostly interested in hearing from folks that have owned and run the old Scott. It is going on my '63 Hydroswift so should give some feel for that period.Red and Sita.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A nice looking boat.
The 3 cylinder 60 was a 63.27 cubic inch in production 58- 60, 60 hp @ 4800 rpm,Became a 75 in 61 from the same displacement.
75 hp @ 5200 rpm Around the same time OMC needed a 89 cu in.4 cylinder for a 75 at 4500 rpm.
Both motors had teething problems I believe related to timing and plug heat range application.The 60 uses 2 carbs.
Carter,Tillotson,Walbro or Marvel-Schebler carbs are used Not sure what applies to the 60.
I believe it is battery ignition with a 3 cylinder distributor.I would say that most of these parts will be difficult and expensive to find.
An attractive motor that I think would deliver strong performance,but I don't think practical as an everyday motor.
The guys at The Antique Outboard Motor Club Website - AOMCI.org can probably fill you in on parts and how practical it might be.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I was mostly interested in hearing from folks that have owned and run the old Scott. It is going on my '63 Hydroswift so should give some feel for that period.View attachment 220489

I realize you are looking for personal experiences. But I suspected there was a deeper question "Should I buy it?" I think steelspike and I both attempted to give our unbiased opinions on that. I can't tell you whether to buy it or not. Just go into it with your eyes open.

But let me say that when that motor was new, I worked at a shop that was an OMC dealer, and 99% of our work was with that line. However, we also were service dealers for Scott-Atwater. In fact, we were the only place for miles around that would even touch them. Other places had their adgenda, bad-mouth the off-brands so people would buy their Evinrudes, Johnsons and Mercurys. They did a very good job of giving the off brands a bad reputation.

OK, so I have never personally owned a three-cylinder Scott. Or any Scott larger than 16hp, for that matter. I do have a 1947 3.5hp right now, and it runs great. However, the three cylinder basically is the twin cylinder 40hp with another cylinder added. I have worked on a number of the 40hp motors and driven the boats they were on. I confess that I don't remember if I've ever worked on a 3 cyl or not, and if I did, it was only a very few. Like I said, there were not many sold, and Scott-McCulloch was in serious decline at the time.

Some Scotts were infamous for problems, like the high mounted water pump for instance. But get real, OMC and Mercury had some losers too. I'm pretty sure the 60 doesn't have that problem water pump.

So, as I said, it would be an interesting project, and something "different". Parts would be your biggest problem, which is why I stressed the importance of condition (and completeness).

Hey, I remember when Packards, Hudsons, Edsels, and Studebakers were shunned too. But they are still of interest to collectors.

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice

Ain't it so!!! Hahaha. Thanks for all the insights FR. I really appreciate your time.

I am going out tonight to give it the once over and decide from there. There are easy years put on boat motors and hard years I have come to find out. Keep your fingers crossed for me that some easy hours were logged on this one! At $200 and guaranteed by the seller I shouldnt get hurt too bad regardless. I will post a pic if I do buy it.

BTW- I am looking to verify the year of mfg off the model or serial #. Any free places you know that I can look it up at? Thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My after market service manual indicates: 1958 332 is electric start and generator, 342, is long shaft, 1959, 332A is electric start w generator,342A long shaft. 1960 is C3Jb and D3JB I'm assuming the D is long shaft.

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, well ready to start tearing into this Scott that found its way home with me. Thanks for all the great links and info! I cant wait for the ice to get off the lake!
imagejpeg_0_2.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It will take some digging but I have some copies of original McCulloch " service aids" read that(field modifications) for the 60s.
I'll be glad to mail them off to you.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Okay, well ready to start tearing into this Scott that found its way home with me. Thanks for all the great links and info! I cant wait for the ice to get off the lake!
View attachment 220558
I have the repair manual in PDF format if you would like a copy. Just PM me your email address;)

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the repair manual in PDF format if you would like a copy. Just PM me your email address;)

Hello I did not know SCOTT"S were still made up to 1969 .If you don't mind I would like all the info. you have on a 1960 ROYAL SCOTT 40 & A 1962 ROYAL SCOTT 43.7 CUSTOM.....THANK'S

Mister Zag

Recruit
How have things gone with that Flying Scott? I've recently gotten my first boat. It came with a seized Flying Scott. While researching how to work on it, and searching for parts availability I've allowed myself to become 'attached' to it and thus I want to get it (or a better one) working.

Stephen Chu DDS

Recruit
I have the opportunity to purchase what I have been told is a 1969 Scott 60hp outboard motor and was wondering what peoples experience has been with them as I have never owned a Scott before. What do you think???:confused:

Thanks for the advice whatever it may be....
In the 1960s my dad ran a Scott 40hp and it always sheared shear pins and fouled spark plugs. We either fixed it in the lake or got towed home. It had no torque to run 4 passengers so it didn't plane and fouled the plugs. Sheared shear pins all the time. We ended up getting a StarCraft 18 ft with Mercruiser 4 stroke 110 hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.