sears ted williams 5hp

rockmonkey

Cadet
howdy. I just picked up this motor for 50 bucks. seems to run ok, but rough. Ive cleaned the float bowl & pin , most of the carb while still mounted and checked the flapper on the gas inlet side. Ive cleaned the bolt on the bowl and jet on the bolt as well. It'll run a bit choppy but will keep going as long as i play with the throttle. After about 5 minutes of running, the gaskets around the head start bubbling and it starts smoking pretty good. still running, but getting choppier, so I cut the gas and shut her off. It'll start up again after a couple pulls and run fine for a while, but same thing. It was also dripping gas through the lower unit earlier, but may not have had the throttle shut off all the way. Any ideas, or does anyone have a pdf manual handy? Any help would be appreciated.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: sears ted williams 5hp

Is there a model number? That will tell you who made it. Sounds like the carb needs a more thorough cleaning. Running hot often means running too lean.

rockmonkey

Cadet

the model number is 217-58541-0. Thanks, i'll give it a shot.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

For parts, call these guys with your model and part numbers;

VinParts

They got all the Tecumseh stock when Tecumseh went tits up.

If you got fuel leakin' at the lower unit, it's generally a sinkin float, bad needle seat, or a split in the fuel pump element, also known as the 'duck bill'. They can really hide a split. When I check'em, I use a magnifying glass and roll it between thumb and forefinger so if there is a split, it stands out. When you put the float back in, the open ends of the clip that ties the needle to it have to be pointed at the choke end of the carb, or it can hang and foul the float.

Last edited: