Sea king 15 HP

Idahogobbler

Cadet
I bought a sea king 15 from a guy yesterday the pull string was broke he said it did not get any attention last year but it ran the year before. so today I put a new string in it re winded it, I put 2 new spark plugs in drained the gas hose (from engine to tank) put new gas in mixed it fairly rich with a splash of sea foam in.I started pulling and it back fired a few times then kept pulling and pulling and about every ten pulls it would start for about 25 sec if I gave it gas it would rev up if I let it down it would die if I let it sit it would die and it died about the tie I got to full throttle. I tried so much tonight the pull rope I just put it broke a few min ago :( was really wanting to go duck hunting tomorrow but looks like im back to square one also it smoked to HIGH heaven any time it would run

I could not find a serial number on I ill try to find a pic of it and post it to try and help more

Thanks for any info

Colton

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea king 15 HP

Sounds like the carb is dirty.
The low speed jet clogged.
Set the air screw at 1 and 1/8th turn out for inital setting.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm.

Idahogobbler

Cadet

Last night I took the carb apart it was pretty gunky in the bowl/float area other than that it was all very clean soaked every thing in sea foam re put it all togeather gonna put some more gas in today thinking I may of been running a bit to rich 5.5 ounces to 1.26 gallons of gas

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yup too much oil.
1pint to 6 gal.
8oz to 3 gal
2.66oz to 1 gal
When you had the carb apart? did you clear the tiny holes in the jet?
Just soaking them might not get the crud out.
I use a welders tip cleaner.They are like a tiny round file.

Idahogobbler

Cadet

Yup too much oil.
1pint to 6 gal.
8oz to 3 gal
2.66oz to 1 gal
When you had the carb apart? did you clear the tiny holes in the jet?
Just soaking them might not get the crud out.
I use a welders tip cleaner.They are like a tiny round file.

no not as good as a welders tip file I just tried scrubbing it with the wire brush do you think the to rich of fuel could be the problem??? also if I prime it with just sea foam alone to get it every were in there let it set for a few min then prime it with gas would that hurt/help any thing??

Colton

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would not hurt anything to try it but sounds like either the idle jet is plugged, could also be the diaphragm in the fuel pump
is shot ( try squeezing primer when it starts will tell real quick if that is it will keep running ) but my bet is that there is some
gunk someplace in the carb

Idahogobbler

Cadet

would not hurt anything to try it but sounds like either the idle jet is plugged, could also be the diaphragm in the fuel pump
is shot ( try squeezing primer when it starts will tell real quick if that is it will keep running ) but my bet is that there is some
gunk someplace in the carb

I looked at the diaphragm and it looked normal to me but what do I know??? no tears or anything a few little wrinkles towards the bottom. also when its running if I squeeze the bulb it drowns it out, if its not running and I squuze the bulb past the point were its hard it will squeeze fuel out the choke hole is that normal??? I cleaned the carb as best as I could but I think ill prob have to do a better job the more I read. as of now im waiting for a replacement recoil spring until I can go any further :( drivin me nuts!

Colton