1951 Elgin 5hp outboard motor (multiple problems)

mastersquid16

Recruit
Okay, so I'm new to outboard motors so I apologize in advance for wrong terminology I will use. Feel free to correct me. So I just recently bought a 1951 Elgin outboard that looked in pretty good condition. Upon bringing it home I noticed a crack. I don't know the name of the cover but it looks like the water pump jacket? Or some sort of water bypass plate. Half the plate looks like it was for the exhaust to come out and the other half looks like where the water dumps down from the top cylander to the bottom. I don't know what that plate is called but it broke into 3 pieces and the inside is all corroded. The rest of the motor looks savable but not sure if I can find a replacement or someone could fabricate something. Anyways, any thoughts about what I should do from this point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. Joseph

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1951 Elgin 5hp outboard motor (multiple problems)

Are you talking about the exhaust covers on the side of the powerhead??? Items 8 through 11 in this picture. Not the correct one for your motor, but good enough to ask by.

Attachments

• Page 9 Powerhead.jpg
    Page 9 Powerhead.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1

mastersquid16

Recruit
Re: 1951 Elgin 5hp outboard motor (multiple problems)

Are you talking about the exhaust covers on the side of the powerhead??? Items 8 through 11 in this picture. Not the correct one for your motor, but good enough to ask by.

Yes number 8. Thanks