Montgomery Wards Sea King (Gale) 74GG9006

cimchazz1

Cadet
Hello, just joined this forum, great site! And yesterday, I just purchased my 1st outboard. Have been looking for something for my 16' flat back aluminum canoe, and thought a small vintage outboard would be interesting (I like vintage stuff).

This particular engine is a Monkey Wards Sea King, with a maroon gas tank in nice shape, and no side cover (not sure if it is supposed to have one?), and a rope start. It is actually a pretty clean motor and looked like it hadn't been used much. I looked up the 74GG9006 model number and found it is made by Gale.

It has some issues, of course, which I was assuming would be the case, or he would have started it for me when I offered him less for it because I told him I thought it would take a lot to get it running. I only checked to make sure it wasn't locked up.

After getting it home, I started checking it over and found there was no spark, so I pulled the flywheel and cleaned the points, and have hot white spark now (was almost spotless under the flywheel). After that, I put some gas in the cylinder and turned it over and it sputtered, but I thought there was excessive piston play when I turned the crank and back and forth, so next I pulled the carb and noticed, looking through the intake port, that the connecting rod cap was loose. Looks like the rod cap screws are backed out some, so that is on the list to fix. Are these both common problems on these engines?

One of my other questions is about the carb. It had a lot of white powder in the bowl where there is a screen that filters the gas. And, there is a primer plunger that is just loose in that chamber (and doesn't stay in the up position). Is there a spring or something that holds that plunger up? Where can I get an exploded view of this carb, or the info I need to go through it?

Any links anywhere to info on this motor?

Lastly, I am assuming the people responding to these forum questions have more experience than I do with outboards, so is this motor worth fixing up, or would I be farther ahead selling it and looking for something else for a canoe, and letting someone hang this one on a wall in a restaurant? I was hoping to find a lightweight single cylinder gas motor. Don't really want to have a marine battery in the canoe for an electric motor, and looking to keep the cost down. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Montgomery Wards Sea King (Gale) 74GG9006

Your motor is a 1947, made by Gale. It is a Gale model 1W4

Good thing you noticed the loose rod. There are lockplates under the screw heads that are supposed to keep them from vibrating loose. Personally, I use just a drop (no more) of blue Locktite Screw Lock.

It originally had side covers, but no recoil starter.

The white powder is corrosion from water sitting in the cavity. The "Primer Plunger" is the inlet float valve. A cork float holds it up when the bowl fills. That prevents further flow which would flood out. If it is corroded, there is a good chance the seat is shot. That may mean the carburetor is junk.

The correct parts book for this motor is very user unfriendly, so I'll post a similar one (1951).

Attachments

• Pg 1 Carburetor.jpg
    Pg 1 Carburetor.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2

cimchazz1

Cadet

Your motor is a 1947, made by Gale. It is a Gale model 1W4

Good thing you noticed the loose rod. There are lockplates under the screw heads that are supposed to keep them from vibrating loose. Personally, I use just a drop (no more) of blue Locktite Screw Lock.

It originally had side covers, but no recoil starter.

The white powder is corrosion from water sitting in the cavity. The "Primer Plunger" is the inlet float valve. A cork float holds it up when the bowl fills. That prevents further flow which would flood out. If it is corroded, there is a good chance the seat is shot. That may mean the carburetor is junk.

The correct parts book for this motor is very user unfriendly, so I'll post a similar one (1951).

Thanks for the info. I tore into it tonight and found the connecting rod/cap looks like it got hot and the cap was bent because of the loose screw. there was a little scoring on the crank journal and I would say the rod is junk. So I at least need a rod and cap. I think I could clean up the crank and the piston/rings look fine, no scoring at all.
Any idea where I can find a rod and cap? Are these common parts to any other motors?
Also, I will take a look at the carb again to see what the seat looks like. I didn't see any corrosion in the bowl when I first looked at it. There were no signs of cork left, just a rod. Thanks.

cimchazz1

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I tore into it tonight and found the connecting rod/cap looks like it got hot and the cap was bent because of the loose screw. Also, the rod looked slightly bent, not perfectly straight, and is dark colored from heat just above the crank bearing. There was a slight scoring on the crank journal and I would say the rod is junk. So I at least need a rod and cap. I think I could clean up the crank and the piston/rings look fine, no scoring at all.
Any idea where I can find a rod and cap? Are these common parts to any other motors?
Also, I will take a look at the carb again to see what the seat looks like. I didn't see any corrosion in the bowl when I first looked at it, just the white powder I dumped out . I haven't taken the top of the carb off to look at the float yet. But I think my big concern now is the connecting rod Thanks.

Thanks, great diagram
of carb......BTW, the part number cast into the rod is "590006" and the cap is "007". Anyone know if this interchangeable with an OMC or Gale engine, or other brands maybe?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The part number for the rod and cap assembly is 590007. The two parts are not available separately, nor interchangeable from rod to rod. Checking the parts books, I find that 590007 was used in the single cylinder Gales clear up through the last ones made in 1963. It was also used in the twin cylinder 5hp "Wedge Head" models that had the primer-type carburetors. Those were made up till around 1957. However, the 5hp models with dual needle valve with choke carburetors had a very different powerhead and the rods were different.

cimchazz1

Cadet

Thanks again FR. Referring to the diagram you provided, looks like my carb is complete. I cleaned it up and turned it upside down and filled the lower cavity with gas/oil mixture and let it sit for a few days (without the cork float to weight down the pin) and it didn't leak out, so I think the carb may be worth working with. Cork float is in great condition, but I will still coat it with something to fuel-proof it.
This motor really doesn't look like it got used much, judging by the paint and condition of everything, I just think that rod cap screw came loose and they stopped using it. I lightly dressed the crank journal, smoothed out the upper half of the rod bearing, got a rod cap that matches, and checked the diameters. Crank journal dia. is .808, side to side ID of rod bearing is .811, and top to bottom ID of rod bearing is .821 (my calipers can't go out any more decimal places). Does the rod have a replaceable bronze bushing in the upper half? It looks like the bushing comes out, but I don't want to experiment on it and wreck the rod. And if it isn't replaceable, has anyone tried and been successful at taking a little material off the bottom ends of the rod (where the cap mates to it) to make the oblong ID a round one again? I've been able to do this on lawn mower motors in the past without a problem. Still trying to keep from having to part out this nice old motor, I really like the low profile look.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The bushing is cast in the rod and doesn't come out. Sure, back in the day, we filed rod caps and scraped the bearings.

cimchazz1

Cadet

The bushing is cast in the rod and doesn't come out. Sure, back in the day, we filed rod caps and scraped the bearings.

Any idea what the part number is for the piston rings on the 74GG9006 Sea King?
Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Rings are #593425. marineengine.com has 'em.