Martin 75 Cylinder crud

Sgaskill

Cadet
I am starting a rebuild of a '53 Martin 75 (7.5 hp). I am moving along nicely with LU, magneto, carb etc. I have a question about importance of carbon crud in cylinders. Once I pull a plug I see this crud . I can't really see the walls, just the top. Is this normal? Should I eventually (after I get it running, knock on wood) use a de-carb product (Seafoam)?
Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Martin 75 Cylinder crud

Looks pretty much normal to me on the piston top. Seafoam may help remove some of it, while switching to a synthetic or synthetic blend TCW3 may slow down the build up.

Sgaskill

Cadet

That's good to hear that its probably "normal" build-up. It uses a 3/4 pint of oil per gallon of gasoline mix. You think I can use sythetic instead of dino oil in the mix? Thanks, Scott

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use Pennzoil synthetic blend. It doesn't smoke as much as the full dino. I have no idea what Martin said to use way back, might even as been plain motor oil. If you use TCW3 which is for water-cooled 2 strokes, you will be OK. It is water-cooled, isn't? From this I have the impression she is cooled with water. File:Martina51001.jpg - Classic Boat Library