Sears Eska 3.5 hp no fuel to cylinder

motorhead64

Cadet
Model 1945A with Tecumseh 642-17A with fixed jet carburetor. Have cleaned and rebuilt carb, flapper valve, points. Good spark. Cleaned fuel system, new inline filter, new clear fuel lines. Fuel getting to float bowl. Also visible in remote tank line even though I am using on board tank. Engine pops when fuel provided via plug hole. Otherwise, plug is dry. After turning engine upside down to drain on board tank, pulled her over one more time. She tried to start. Am I having a float needle issue...sticking needle not allowing fuel to cylinder? I'm stumped. MH

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sears Eska 3.5 hp no fuel to cylinder

Duckbill.jpg

You don't mention the fuel pump element in the face of the mounting flange. It has to be in there with the slot ends pointed at 2 and 8 oclock or it won't pump right. Also, check the face of the carb flange for flatness - if the mounting bolts were over torqued, you can lose vacuum, and it won't pull fuel.. I they are bent, re-flat the face with with a big fat file, or emery on a flat surface, don't stack gaskets.

motorhead64

Cadet
Re: Sears Eska 3.5 hp no fuel to cylinder

Yes..I did change out the pump element as well and aligned correctly per repair manual. Cleaned up faces of carb and intake as best I could with putty knife and carb cleaner. This is a wacko system in my opinion. Is there a retro approach to this...a different carb maybe? There was no flapper valve behind the inlet plate on the side of the carburetor....just the gasket. Don't see how it was running before without that. Also, is fuel presence in the external tank line normal with no external tank attached. The owner's manual mentioned a primer on the fuel cap of the onboard tank. Didn't come with that. Is that an issue?