Sea King 5hp questions

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just inherited a 5hp sea king model gg9002A sn 6sx6081xx from a friends 90yr old
father. It supposedly was rebuilt several years
ago run twice and then hung on a bracket on the garage wall.
Appears to have good compression and be in pretty good shape few scratches but no noticeable ]
damage.
Questions
1 what year is it?
2 do I need to pull the power head like my 5.5 johnson to drop the lower unit.
3 Will the Johnson power head gasket, impeller and carb kit work?
4 It has high and low speed adjustments, those I am familiar with
but also has a knob and screw that are accessible on the left side of the motor
any clue what they are?
Thanks
Doug

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea King 5hp questions

I believe a second look will tell that is a 66X in the serial number. It is a 1966, made by Gale Products Division of OMC. It is a Gale model 5D12. It is very similar, but not exactly like early 5.5hp Johnsons & Evinrudes. Yes, you have to pull the powerhead. Powerhead gasket is same as EARLY (1954-1955) Johnson/Evinrudes with spring mounts, unlike the later ones with rubber mounts. I don't know what you mean by the knob on the side, unless you mean the fuel shut-off valve from the tank.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FR double checked it today it is 65 which from what I read last night would be 56, the knob through the side of the case could be a fuel shut off. Will try to get a gasket and impeller to put in before I try and start it since I have no idea other than a few years ago when the impeller was changed last. 1057886_10152053122198378_1378404921_n.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Somehow I didn't get this posted earlier.
The motor appears to be a 56.Built by the Gale devision of OMC. It shares a lot with its cousins Evinrude and Johnson.
When you refer to "left side" do you actually mean the starboard side?
My 55 has a gas shut off on the starboard side.
The Gale 5 and E/J 5.5 are covered in the same section of my aftermarket service manual.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it would be the starboard side and probably is the fuel shut off. Thanks for the link to the manual. Will start checking it out this weekend. My 5.5 Johnson is the winter project ran good several years ago but lower unit leaked bad, has been hanging in the shed for a while, think I have all the parts for it now. Will order impeller kit and power head gasket for this one.