5 hp sea king starting help

Michael Wild

Cadet
Pulled the power head and checked the impeller which is fine. Put all back together with new gasket - seal and o-ring looked good. Did not pull flywheel but visually checked points and gap. Can't see any obvious problem. Now I have sore wrist from pulling and pulling and pulling on the starter rope. Got a couple of firings and maybe 3 or 4 revolutions on its own. My first question is how should the low and high speed settings be set? Do they affect starting?

Second question is regarding those low and high speed knobs and the degree of travel. Decals show number 1 thru 4 for both. If you turn the splined shaft all the way say to 1 (all the way clockwise) and put the knob on with the pointer at 1 there is no way for the knob to be turned all the way to 4. Am I missing something here? I attached a pic of the low and high speed knobs and the choke.P1010856.jpg

If we (my 88 yr old dad is helping) don't make some progress (checking for spark, etc) we will pull the flywheel and inspect the magneto.

olliebird

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 5 hp sea king starting help

I always check the plug for spark by taking a plug out and laying it on the to of the motor-pull the start rope and see if there a spark on the plug then do the other plug the same way. If you have spark in the plugs you have a gas problem....

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a sparkplug tester, I can send you a pic if you want. Also flywheel puller. got mine at harbor freight. Don't make your Dad hold the wires to check for spark. Pull flywheel and check coils for cracks, clean and set points, I use a points file, then dress down more with some sandpaper, then clean some more, then set. Get spark first then go to carb. Be prepared for alot of responses and help from the experts here.

Michael Wild

Cadet

I have a spark plug tester but for it to work the motor has to be running right? I have a 1967 Gravely 2 wheel tractor - single cylinder engine and bought the tester for it but then realized the tester is for multi-cylinder engines. You set up the tester to check the suspect cylinder, start the engine and check for spark on that cylinder. My dad "loves" getting shocked - does not seem to bother him - checks the electric fence by touching it! He is one of the finest mechanics I know but he is getting along in years. He will be thrilled for a chance to go to Harbor Freight.

What about my questions about the knobs and degree of travel and their role in starting?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The numbers on the knobs are actually meaningless. The knob can be snapped onto the splined needles in any position. For a rough setting, open the slow speed needle 1-1/2 turns, and the high speed 3/4 turn. Do final adjustment when warmed up, on a boat, on the lake.

Check the ignition system. Bad, cracked coils are the norm on motors that old and must be replaced if you ever expect to get it running right.

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I`m going to have to write that down. For some reason I cant remember the initial position for each needle.
The numbers on the knobs are actually meaningless. The knob can be snapped onto the splined needles in any position. For a rough setting, open the slow speed needle 1-1/2 turns, and the high speed 3/4 turn. Do final adjustment when warmed up, on a boat, on the lake.

Check the ignition system. Bad, cracked coils are the norm on motors that old and must be replaced if you ever expect to get it running right.

64osby

Admiral

Spray a little premix in the carb. If it kicks it's time to rebuild the carb. If not time to pull the flywheel.

Michael Wild

Cadet

I got it started easily enough yesterday, got it warmed up and adjusted low & high speeds. Took it to my dad's today and it started and ran well enough to please him. All the dead bugs, egg cases, old lake weed seems to have been spit out. The exhaust water got warm but not hot. It does kind of spray out rather than a straight stream. Gas & oil is 24 to 1 (1/3 pint of oil to 1 gal gas), dad thinks that's too much oil but all I've read here and elsewhere says 24 to 1. I've posted a pic because I am impressed at the condition of the motor - cowl has all lettering, etc. Only thing kind of buggered is the throttle handle.

Oh, I did have to replace the fuel line. Just happened to have a piece that fit but it was a challenge feeding it through.

Attachments

• P1010858.jpg
    P1010858.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010862.jpg
    P1010862.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010864.jpg
    P1010864.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Michael Wild

Cadet

Success !! The second time out on the lake the motor worked flawlessly. First time had a problem with the fuel tank - the primer bulb was semi-collapsed and the motor was not getting any fuel. I think the problem was that I over tightened the no spray connector that goes into the fuel tank. Loosened it a little and the 2nd trip was great. Thanks for your help and advice.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 5 can make speeds about 12 mph lightly loaded on a reasonably fast boat.
When running alone a tiller extension will get you in the middle seat for quicker hole shot and better top end.

Michael Wild

Cadet

The boat is a 1969 Arkansas Traveler, 14' aluminum flat-bottom VP1010830.jpg. Originally designed to be a row boat. Not enough room on the transom for a gas engine and a trolling motor. Used 4 holes already in transom to mount 2x6 for trolling motor. Crude but works. The rear seat is really too close to the motor - kind of hard to steer comfortably - I might move the seat up a foot. I took out the middle seat - this is a fishing boat now and I need the room for ice chest, box of stuff, etc. Using it on a 500 acre lake about 20 minutes from home - pretty remote. In fact i installed new "bearing buddies" and when I got home noticed both were missing. I can't believe they fell off so I think someone stole them while the trailer was parked.

What's a "hole shot"?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Hole shot is how quick it goes from no wake to full plane.
Looks like your motor is setup way too low.It appears the antivent plate (just above the prop)is 3 or 4" below the bottom.
This creates a lot of drag and probably spray,Slowing hole shot and top end.
If you move the seat I would suggest going as far as is comfortable.
We had a steel boat a lot like your aluminum.It would pop on plane and run about that 12 mph I mentioned with a 180 pounder on the middle seat.Great hole shot.
Be watchful that the hull doesn't flex too much with the middle seat removed.

Last edited:

Michael Wild

Cadet

Since this is not a starting problem I am going to reply via private mail.