62 Elgin 7.5 hp

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok the wifes gonna kill me but I just purchased a 1962 Elgin in really nice shape. Other than they are hard to work on from what Ive read, any advice or pointers anyone can share. oil/gas ratio etc. never owned one but looks like it was a good find.:D

blindreef

Cadet
Re: 62 Elgin 7.5 hp

I picked one up a while back, just because it looked cool as S*%#... I have a parts manual so I'll check it for gas ratio when I get home. Got any pics for us??? :)

blindreef

Cadet

Here is what the operating instructions say on fuel: "in a separate, clean container, mix thoroughly 1/2 pint of outboard or medium duty SAE #30 or #40 motor oil with each gallon of regular or marine white gasoline. To facilitate mixing: To about a gallon of gasoline, add all of the oil. Tip container from end to end several times. Add remainder of gasoline and repeat. It is desirable to STRAIN the fuel mixture when pouring into the motor tanks. CAUTION: Always wipe spilled gasoline from motor after filling tank." To be honest _buster, I'm not sure what year motor I have. You can check out a few pics here: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/barn-find-elgin-611245.html

I'll see if I can find a way to get a copy of this manual over too you. It's got all the troubleshooting / cold start / ect...

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Elgin Outboards has a bunch of info as far as dates,models and what was made for who by who. pretty interesting. I bought the motor off ebay and its getting shipped. The manual would be nice.Thanx... Tradebits.com has a bunch of manuals was gonna go see if I could find a copy. Ive amassed a hell of a collection of repair manuals over the years in PDF format that I pass out on here when someone asks for a copy, I will add it to the collection:joyous:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just downloaded the McCulloch and Scott Atwater manuals along with the Sears if anyone would like a copy.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok the motor arrived yesterday I took it out the box and said OMG this thing looks brand new. Had to show the wife and of course I had the lecture and this morning I put gas to it and 3rd pull fired up. Put my trusty water barrel under it and wouldnt you know it, pumps great water and PURRS like a well tuned machine. Cant wait to get it to the river. :)

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

corinas shell cracker.jpg the wifes brim she caught we should of weighed it I think it was a Ga. record

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ok the motor arrived yesterday I took it out the box and said OMG this thing looks brand new. Had to show the wife and of course I had the lecture and this morning I put gas to it and 3rd pull fired up. Put my trusty water barrel under it and wouldnt you know it, pumps great water and PURRS like a well tuned machine. Cant wait to get it to the river. :)

Let's just say you got lucky. The plastic hood is always broken on those things. And yes, they are a pain to work on.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I looked through the repair manual while waiting on it. But at 39lbs and in nice condition I got lucky. Its about time:D
it will work just fine on our boat.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Update.....Took it to the river yesterday ( with no water in the river ) and where I could use it motor ran like a charm. Planed out nicely and had plenty of power.:joyous: Sometimes we get lucky and Im glad it happened to me finally.:D Now on to the next project.