montgomery ward seaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldplumber61

Cadet
i have a montgomery ward seaking 2 cylinder strang thing it runs good for a while then seems to start getting hot and slowing down. yoy can put it in reverse and run a while ,go back in foward and cools down and runs good for a while, then same seniro again. took water pump apart and impeller is soft as a new one. there is a small hole in the top housing about a 1/32 bit looks factory. sent i-boats e-mail with serial no.85x733275 model cg8977A for parts she needs hp anyone know by numbers, i saw it posted but cant locate it.anyone had a heating problem like this and cool by backing up?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: montgomery ward seaking

That is a 58-59 And uses a sierra 18-3001 impeller.The same as the 54-64 Evinrude/Johnson motors.18-3102 is the impeller plate.
If the impeller has taken a set it should be replaced.Be sure the intake screen is clear.

oldplumber61

Cadet

thanks for the reply steelespike, the impeller is soft as new. the little hole in the top sort of concerns me, i have never saw one in any mercurys i have torn down. doesnt look big enough to cause heating but something is. i,ve blown all holes out, and seem to be clean.have any idea the hp. it doesnt say anywhere on the motor. the fellow i got it from thought maybe around 9 hp. because that is what we could run without having numbers on the boat then.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Your model number should be "GG8977A" (not CG). That would make it a 1958 Montgomery-Ward Sea King 5-hp Deluxe, the same motor as a Gale 5D15B. The lower unit is shared with the 1954-55 Johnson 5? & Evinrude 7?.

Here is a clickable link to a factory repair manual in PDF format. Many thanks for Richard Paquette posting it.

oldplumber61

Cadet

thanks tn-25, you are exactley right . i rechecked and had misread the numbers, maybe i can get somewhere.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1941. Now please start a new topic and put this 3-year old one back to archive.

Graywolf678

Recruit
F_R, I don't know if you are responding to my post or some one else. If the response is for me then you are mistaken. My post is not 3 years old, I only got an account here on August 2nd 2016 to find any information on this motor. We don't even know if it is 2 stroke or 4. If you can enlighten on this motor I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Gray, please start a new topic about your motor.

You posted to a 3yr old topic.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.