scott atwater water pump, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, I have a 1958 7.5hp that won"t pump water, I pulled the power head and took the impellers out, they both looked good, so I put it back together. Well still not pumping. can they look good but be bad? they are a little pricey, don"t want to buy them unless I have to. The water tube and powerhead are both clear.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: scott atwater water pump, help

That is a Bail A Matic, if I am correct.
Those engines have the water pumps quite high up, close to the power head. That is harder to prime than those engines that have the water pump lower, which is under water when starting.
If there is a leak on the suction side then it might not prime.

Peter

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

what would I look at to find a leak on the suction side? everthing looked ok, but I'm not a expert on scotts. they are a pain to work on.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a copy of the reapir manual if you would like it in PDF format. If so shoot me your email.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do you feel any suction on the bail-o-matic? You should be able to stick a length of clear tubing on it and suck water out of a bucket.

You do need to get it pretty far down in the water for the pump to work and rev it a couple of times to get it primed. If it still isn't spraying any water I'd take another look inside the pump. Those impellers last a long time, but there could be crud blocking the passages between the impeller and the water tube.

darrylsiemer

Cadet
I suspect that you've solved this problem by now but you might want to think about the suggestion, ("cheap water pump fix) that I've just posted in the Johnson/Evinrude forum; i.e., turn your motor's impeller(s) "up side down" occasionally - an impeller can look fine but still have taken a set that won't let the pump prime itself.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed

Darryl, please take note of how long a topic has been inactive and refrain from posting to topics w/ no new replies in 90days. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.