1962 5 hp Sea King lower unit removal

Michael Wild

Cadet
After reading several posts there seemed to be 2 approaches to removing the lower unit. One was taking out 7 bolts and removing the power head. The other was to locate a block on the leg containing shift linkage and removing the lower bolt. I removed the 7 bolts but no way is the power head coming off - it still has all the carburetor linkages and everything that would have to be removed.

I attached 2 photos - one of each side of the leg/lower unit. One shows a shift lever but I don't see any kind of block with 2 screws.

Help would be appreciated.

Model GG18736D
Serial # 26X858289

Attachments

• P1010835.jpg
    P1010835.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010837.jpg
    P1010837.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1962 5 hp Sea King lower unit removal

My manual says it is a 1 piece shift rod, no block with two screws. I can share a gale service manual that F_R sent me if you private message me with your email.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

On your 62, you will have to remove the power head.It's not all bad it will give you the opportunity to replace the bottom crank seal and bearing which if they fail can ruin the motor.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is like the other OMC motors that age the larger ones had the 2 piece shaft the smaller ones did not. It is one piece and the only
way to get the lower unit off is to pull the power head. It is not really a big deal the linkage comes apart easily.

Michael Wild

Cadet

Thanks for your answers. I am going to buy the Ken Cook shop manual. That should help.

Michael Wild

Cadet

Success - the power head was really stuck to the motor housing-we had all 7 bolts out and the head would not move - my dad tried one last time to pry it up using a 1x4 and it popped loose. My brother started helping and I removed the 2 nuts holding the shift rod - nothing happened for about a minute and then the lower unit fell off and almost took off my brother's big toe! The water pump and impeller looked fine.

Thanks for the help (I did not get replies to my private messages - maybe I did something wrong). I ordered the shop manual and have bought a new gasket to replace the one between the power head and motor housing. I have been told that this is a really nice motor with lots of power - can't wait to get it back together and test it out.