1973 Eska/Ted Williams 15 hp ignition upgrade?

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I just aquired a 73 Ted Williams #217.58760 15 H.P.

I have a question about upgrading the ignition system. I've seen posts here and several other places about rebuilding these parts, but it's kind of confusing with which parts they are talking about and so fourth.

Sandbagging around other parts of the web, I've seen people replace their ignition systems with some sort of ECM; mainly one called Nova II Amazon.com: ELECTRONIC TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION MODULE NOVA II: Patio, Lawn & Garden

These systems along with a matching coil, have been replacing older outboards/tractors etc. with a point/condenser system.
Now, these Ted William's have a SSI setup with 1 magnet on the flywheel and one trigger magnet in the center hub of the flywheel; which can be easily removed. Does anyone see why I wouldn't be able to use this Nova setup to use on my Eska? I really don't see any difference between the SSI and the point setup except for the style of electronic parts. If you remove all the electronics from both styles of engines wouldn't it be the same? Just a magnitized flywheel attached to a spindle, add the coil, get it lined up, attach the ECM and hook up to spark plugs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 Eska/Ted Williams 15 hp ignition upgrade?

Never seen that set up before. Replaces points and condenser. single cyl. application. I did see where a guy made a SSI set up with a coil and a homemade style SSI but needed a battery and coil like on a riding mower that he said worked. Saw it years ago on ebay.

submariner1980

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This module not for Ted or Eska. What is wrong with original ignition?
SSI is thyristor type of ignition. In each module are two coils and simple electronics circuit. One coil is charging, facing out to flywheel magnet. When magnet flying by its charge the capacitor in electronics circuit. Second coil is trigger or firing, faces inside toward small magnet on the top of crank shaft. When mafnet is pass coil thyristor discharge capacitor on ignition coil. Ill find info how to repair SSI, if you have some skills in electronics its really easy and not expensive. Ive done it on many motors.

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow thats good stuff. I remember seeing something similar on the web when I had to repair my Gamefisher with a Tecumseh powerhead. That was 7 yrs ago. People say it works well. Good luck....And thanx for sharing.

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This module not for Ted or Eska. What is wrong with original ignition?
SSI is thyristor type of ignition. In each module are two coils and simple electronics circuit. One coil is charging, facing out to flywheel magnet. When magnet flying by its charge the capacitor in electronics circuit. Second coil is trigger or firing, faces inside toward small magnet on the top of crank shaft. When mafnet is pass coil thyristor discharge capacitor on ignition coil. Ill find info how to repair SSI, if you have some skills in electronics its really easy and not expensive. Ive done it on many motors.
Well, I was just figuring as hard as it is to find these parts, might be a good idea to come up with some sort of rig. Not everyone is mechanically inclined to do the stator mod and can destroy the stator in the process. 5 years from now it'll probably be easier to go pan for gold on the surface of the moon than it will be to get parts for these engines. It's a shame there's no aftermarket companies out there that can make Tecumseh parts, when Tecumseh shut down their engine plant they really disappointed thousands of customers who own engines that they can no longer repair.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you convert them to a points/condenser powerhead. Was wondering.....

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you convert them to a points/condenser powerhead. Was wondering.....
I'm sure that would be possible, though difficult. To convert to a points system, One would have to notch out the spindle, which isn't that bad but it would have to be the perfect location, depth and width. I'm also wondering about the magnet in the flywheel. The only feasible reason I can see that using a Nova II type setup wouldn't work would be the flywheel. If the flywheel isn't compatible with that, then It wouldn't be compatible with a points system either. That's not to say a flywheel from something else won't work, but what?

I posted this same topic over at the Yahoo group and the consensus is that the Nova would probably burn up quickly,if I can get it to work, though I'm not 100% sure. Some people have been using it on dirt bikes and points outboards which run about the same RPMs without a problem.
My eska is currently not running due to lack of spark, which I believe is due to the transformers on the block, I'm going to try installing a OMC coil in their place and see what happens. If that fails, I may go ahead and try the Nova. The worse that will happen is my engine still won't run and I'll be out a few bucks