Martin outboard help needed

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Picked up an old martin 40 yesterday, model BB 75101, which indicates it is a 45, maybe, decal says 40. Fair compression and weak spark on 1 cylinder. pulled flywheel and of course coils shot. Looked up price of coils and am thinking about using some omc coils, laminates measure about the same. My first question is has anyone done this? Next question is how does the advance cable hook up? I can tell I'm missing some kinda bracket. Found one threaded bracket under mag plate. does anyone have a pic or parts diagram for this part of motor? photo showsmartin outboard 001 (Small).jpgmartin outboard 002 (Small).jpg bracket next to mag plate right of the plug wire. Any help is always appreciated. kinda like this motor but might part it out or swap, cost to restore could get high.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Martin outboard help needed

Must be a Martin 45 if it has a twist grip throttle. Sorry, it's been too many moons since I've been into one, although I used to work for a previously Martin dealer. Guys have put OMC coils into most anything that has 7/16" square laminations. Sorry, I haven't. Ask at aomci.org I assume it has a two-piece, leaking gas tank, right? If so, I have info on a fix for it, but will have to go through my archives to find it, if you want. Or maybe somebody has put a one-piece Martin 40 tank on it.

Are you aware of the Martin guru? Larson Outboard Service - Martin Outboard Products / Home Page If it is Martin, he knows. If it is a Martin part, he has it, or if not it is going to be a challenge.

Man, don't scrap it. Somebody wants it if you don't.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Martin outboard help needed

Decided to keep it. ordered a used mag plate with coils, points, cond. from a 7.5 firestone. looks the same and has the yellow wrapped coils you spoke of in the archives. So can I just operate this motor with just the mag lever without the twist being all there?