elgin water pump

bsandy565656

Seaman Apprentice
I have a early elgin mod.#571-584. Runs great but can't get it to pump water. It has the impeller type pump and i had Bob Long rebuild the impeller. The water lines are clear but i get nothing. Sure got me stumped, any ideas from past experience? bsandy

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: elgin water pump

A major problem when they ran in salt water (can happen in fresh water too, but takes longer) was that corrosion built up between the bronze pump housing and aluminum casting. That distorted the bronze housing.

bsandy565656

Seaman Apprentice
Re: elgin water pump

I cleaned the houseing with steel wool and the impeller blades are bent over.

jiw1

Recruit
hi guys,can't seem to find a way to start a new post.i have a elgin 5 hp ob model #571-58561 year 51-52 not sure.i put a new impeller in but engine overheats.trying to find info on water flow in and out,complete system.can someone please help? thanks,john

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
hi guys,can't seem to find a way to start a new post.i have a elgin 5 hp ob model #571-58561 year 51-52 not sure.i put a new impeller in but engine overheats.trying to find info on water flow in and out,complete system.can someone please help? thanks,john

Look at the Help Tip on top of the page.

jiw1

Recruit
ga,thank you,i have rear through the help tips just now and still can'seem to find a icon or a little box that says start new post.can you help?thank you,john

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Right at the top of the forum sections. In this case, Other Outboard Brands.
newt.PNG