Gale Sovereign fuel pump

GerardK

Cadet
I have a 1963 Gale Sovereign 60 hp outboard. I really like the motor. I have re-wired it and replaced the plugs. My problem is with the fuel pump. It is not working. I hooked up an electric fuel pump in order to test it and it worked fine. I have read many posts that say not to hook up an electric fuel pump and I tend to agree with their assessments. I just want to know if there is any way to buy a replacement fuel pump, or how to fix my current one, or can I put an electric fuel pump on it and not worry? I know I can replace it with a Johnson or Evinrude, are those readily available? Thanks.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gale Sovereign fuel pump

I have a motor with fuel pump issues as well. gravity feed it runs. Needs adjusted but runs.

Was thinking about using an old inner tube for making a gasket.

Also thought about a low volume low pressure in-line electric pump with a pressure check valve. once reaches x pressure it open and returns back to tank. That would be more trouble than it's worth for me but you might want to.

Sorry I'm not helping

Kilgore

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Killer, gasoline will destroy that inner tube in no time flat.
Both of you....The pump is the same as Johnson and Evinrudes. Repair kit is 18-7801, get it right here at iboats.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

I don't want to hi-jack someone's thread. But Thanks about the info on gas destroying an inner tube.

KillerKilgore

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can buy a whole new fuel pump and save yourself the hassle of taking apart the old one, or rebuild it later and keep it as a spare.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It probably is one of the easiest fuel pumps to repair. After removing it from the motor, 6 screws takes it apart, and there is the diaphragm. OK, so there are a couple of light springs, but they aren't going to jump out and attack you. Just pay attention where they go and don't lose them.