1968 Sears 45 HP outboard......1/4 power at full throttle??????

n4cer26

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

Took out my boat today which has a 45 hp sears outboard on it. I just replaced the impeller which works fine. The motor had power problems however. At full throttle it would only go about 1/4 speed. There was no surging or anything and the motor did not do this the last time I ran it about a month ago. Any idea as to what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance!

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1968 Sears 45 HP outboard......1/4 power at full throttle??????

Did the motor sound the same.

Could have fuel problems.

Something could be slipping in lower unit. not lined back up then you repaired the impeller.

Kilgore

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The motor is a McCulloch.
Check that the throttle is opening all the way.
Check that both cylinders are firing.
See if a little choke helps.
The motor uses a 2 barrel Marvel Schebler carb. It has a fixed high speed jet with a trimmer adjustment.
Initial setting 1 1/2 turns open.
The economizer pin should be seated at idle and intermediate throttle and should be raised 1/32 to 1/16 at wot.
You need a service manual even an after market manual should help.

n4cer26

Seaman Apprentice

My motor has duel carbs. Didn't really seem to sound different...... That I noticed. I did check to make sure the throttle is opening all the way. Never thought to check the spark. Perhaps bit was only running on one cylinder. Come to think of it there were a few times when the motor would "kick in" and surge with sudden power forbabduration of about a sec or so. Guess that could be electrical.?