Ted Williams eska year?

Druther

Cadet
Hi all! I picked up a 9.9 ted williams at a yard sale for $35. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it is. Model 217-58621-0 Chassis# 5d-245709

Druther

Cadet
Re: Ted Williams eska year?

Also, could any one tell me if it is air cooled and does it have an impeller?

Last edited:

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

It's a 1975. Impeller part number 26251. Enter your model number here, with only the dot after the the 217

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

You got a solid state ignition stator under that fly wheel, which means you DO NOT want to yank the starter cord without a grounded plug or plug wire. It's thought to burn down the ignition modules, and you don't want any of that, because while fixable, the stators are NLA, and aftermarkets are $200. Does that motor have spark in both holes?

Last edited:

Druther

Cadet

It's a 1975. Impeller part number 26251. Enter your model number here, with only the dot after the the 217

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

You got a solid state ignition stator under that fly wheel, which means you DO NOT want to yank the starter cord without a grounded plug or plug wire. It's thought to burn down the ignition modules, and you don't want any of that, because while fixable, the stators are NLA, and aftermarkets are $200. Does that motor have spark in both holes?

Thanks Mahty! I always wonder, where the heck all guys get the aswers to all these questions? lol

As far as it get spark in both holes I'm not quite sure just yet. I got it up on the stand and squirted some 2-cycle gas in the carb and it did fire up for a few seconds. I'll stick a screwdriver in the sparkplug wire and ground it to the cylinder block. The primer ball was all torn up so I couldn't run it any further. I did get a new one but haven't had the chance to get any farther just yet. I was pretty disappointed when I went to check the gearbox oil for milky oil and discovered there was none:( I filled it full and drained it and got some big blobs of what i assume was some carbon deposits then I put a magnet in the oil that was draining and got a good pee size bit of metal on it. It did go in gear in both rev and forward when I started it for a few secs. I started it twice, once for rev once for forward. Any advise for gear box? Maybe just fill and drain to flush it out good?

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Sure like to know what that chunk of metal was in there. I'd flush and clean it, run it in the can at low speed for a while. The safest thing to do would be open the durned thang up and see what's what in there. You get a crash inside the lower, it's really gonna be a nuisance. The carb has a couple of unusual things worth knowin - The fuel pump element is an orange 'duckbill' - it's rubber, and it goes into a hole in the mounting face of the carb. It'a a high mortality part, and the slot ends have to be pointed at 2 and 8 o'clock;

The fuel inlet is stuck into a cast two screw plate that covers a flapper valve that acts as a check valve for whatever fuel the pump element has sucked in from the fuel line - It has a gasket it lays on top of under the inlet plate. If you pull that plate flapper, and gasket, there's a screen under the gasket you can check for trash. That carb also uses a viton needle seat that probably ought to be replaced. The timing is advanced by centrifugal weights that turn an orange sleev on the running crank. The sleeve carries a magnet that fires a trigger coil in each SSI module on the stator. It would be prudent to have a little taste of silicone grease, (won't attack plastic), on the crank below the flywheel taper, because if it's dry, you can wear the sleeves bore, and the thing doesn't have to stay centered, next thing ya know, the trigger mag hits a module and shatters. They are rare and NLA.

Attachments

• Duckbill.jpg
    Duckbill.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0