1979 eska/sears 217.585831 set points

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
This motor a 1979 7.5hp sears hasn't been started in over 2 years. Cleaned and THOUGHT I set the points right but it wants to kick back when it starts. Using 40:1 fuel mix.

There was a triangle on the cam roller. I put the points arm just to the left of the cam roller is that right?
But I found this post that for a 69 5hp that said to use the lines on the cam.

http://forums.iboats.com/other-outb...eska-5-hp-217-58520-a-626415.html#post4370211

There are lines on my cam as well as the triangle. didn't know which to use because of the different in the years

Like the OP in the thread I mentioned above does it make a difference if the piston is TDC or not?
Does it make a difference where the throttle is placed?

Thanks in advance
Kilgore

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 eska/sears 217.585831 set points

Put the plastic follower of the moveable points arm on the highest point on the lobe, whether it's the triangle or the lines - I thought that's what the lines were for, myself. Set the points at .020". TDC is not relevant to you, as piston location is determined by the position of the point cam, which of course, turns with the crank, and I think there is some relationship between crank and piston, although it escapes me at the moment. This is certainly a crappy joke, but there it is. You're gonna kick this thing's duff, and it's going to shove your boat down the creek.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1979 eska/sears 217.585831 set points

Down is not the problem it's getting back up that's the hard part LOL.

Hate to do it but I will have to pull the flywheel again. Will take pics.
Nucky coming on cant miss start of new season.

kilgore