Sears/McCulloch 7.5 spurting out pee-hole/lots of questions

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Sears (McCulloch) 7.5 electric start model number 574.60210. From what I can find it is from 1969. Should also be the same thing as a McCulloch 81635. Electric start does work but doesn't charge. Pretty sure it's a fuse issue. work on that later. Will also add rechargeable batteries in under cowl after it running right and dependable.

There is a little water moving because of the water coming out of the pee-hole. There is also water coming from the water cover plate on the port side of the engine. Where items 11, 12 and 13 are located in the pic below. Only thing is it was last spring when I lasted worked on this, but I believe there is only 2 plates on mine. The cover and a 1" thick exhaust manifold(?) and the water seems to be coming from the bottom somewhere.

Can anyone confirm that it should be only 2 pieces or 3?

Anyone have a part donor to giveaway or sale cheap near Ky WV Va area?

What can I use for gasket material?

exploded power head.JPG

Different pic showing same area from a Sears repair manual printed in 68. My engine is 69.
water exhaust.JPG

Could also use a new diaphragm for the fuel pump. What would be good material to make one out of if needed?

Also what should be fuel mix. I have read in 2 different manuals to use 100:1 in this engine with 90 octane gas.
Haven't been using that mix. Been more like a 24:1 2-cycle tcw3 oil. 87 octane.

Where could I get new impellers?

So many questions.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sears/McCulloch 7.5 spurting out pee-hole/lots of questions

If I recall correctly running without the battery damages the charge circuit.
100:1 was with McCulloch 100:1 oil and was changed to 48:1. with a good TcW3 rated oil.
Had a friend with a 14 that was rated for 91 octane. He claimed it ran better on 91 but ran good on 87.
Compression is 120 at cranking speed.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply and info.
Will have to get the charging system fixed quick then. Always had battery connected.
I will run about a 50:1 fuel mix or so. gas is gas as long as it is fresh i guess.
Haven't ran compression test but will keep those numbers in mind when I do it.
Thanks again

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Well soldered on a fuse holder where the factory fuse should be(thin copper strip) with a 5 amp fuse and put a multi-meter on the battery. With engine running at rough idle did not see a change. Revved up the engine and saw an increase in volts in the battery 12.39 to 12.50 then back to 12.40. Blown fuse. Read that he motor would charge at 4 to 6 amps. Only had 5 amp fuse. Replaced blown fuse with a 10 amp. Will replace that with a 7 when I get to parts store.

Had the fuel (40:1 mix) being gravity fed and trying to get the carb adjusted. Started with top needle (fast) at 1 full turn from lightly seated ad the bottom (slow) 3/4 turn.
Put in gear and full throttle. Adjusted the high side the best I could. Ran pretty smooth. Could not get the slow idle adjusted. It would die out every time. Any body got any pointers or ideals?

Kilgore