Tanaka is kinda running now

cbherternal

Cadet
so I was able to get this old Tanaka 1.2hp running. with the air cleaner off. should there be a filter in the housing? also when it's running. and I reinstall the air cleaner housing . it chokes off. and stalls. why would this be happening. do I need to adjust the low idel screw some more. any input would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

cbherternal

Cadet
Re: Tanaka is kinda running now

got a new spark plug. gapped it to .024 and adjusted the low idel screw a tiny bit. and boo ya. she's running like a champ.

robert graham

Admiral

Great!...Super simple motor and easy to work on....no air cleaner...that little black plastic intake thing is just to keep water/spray out of carb/intake.....

cbherternal

Cadet

so I've been playing with a 1.2 hp Tanaka. aka Eska , sears Gamefisher. ect. at WOT it seems to choke and die. half throttle is good. between low idel and half. it runs good. but I think it could do more. also. when she is off. and in the up positio. the carb starts to leak thru the air cleaner. it pours out. Why. and how might I remedy this problem? thanks.

robert graham

Admiral

The cutting out at wide open throttle indicates a fuel flow problem....probably a restriction in that little on/off peacock or the fuel tank vent is not opening sufficient to allow fuel flow. That petcock can be replaced with a little plastic unit from a chainsaw or similar....they sell them and new fuel lines at ace hardware or northern tool or similar store.

cbherternal

Cadet

copy that. I'll get a new petcock. and see what happens. my 2 little girls are having so much fun , Cheers.