Questions: 1961 Gale, Sea King, Model:GG18736 5hp

DLogan

Recruit
Hi all, and let me thank you in advance for any help/advice you might contribute. I will start out by saying that I am not incredibly mechanically inclined, nor do I have an prior experience with outboard motors, so if possible, I would appreciate it if you could remember while answering that I probably don't have a clue what you are talking about in your answers! Now, down to business.

I inherited what I've been told is a Gale Products, 1961 5hp Sea King, Model # GG18736. After rebuilding the carb, replacing spark plugs and fuel lines I have the motor where it will start with just a few pulls. The problems is that there is absolutely no water coming out of the hole and the motor gets hot FAST. From the collective knowledge on this page, I have learned that I need a new fuel pump/impeller (is there a difference?). I was hoping that someone with more experience could tell me where I could get a new impeller and a detailed description of how to go about installing it. Or how much I could expect to spend if I were to take the motor to a mechanic.

Once again guys, thank you for helping a newbie out on his first project!

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Questions: 1961 Gale, Sea King, Model:GG18736 5hp

If it's running I doubt you need a fuel pump; did you mean water pump? If so the impeller is the rubber part that turns around inside the water pump which is the metal part. There's also a small key on the drive shaft that engages the impeller to make sure it turns with the drive shaft. You may get away with just the impeller if the pump body inside looks reasonably in decent condition and the motor has not seen a lot of salt water or sand. The motor is similar to Evinrude and Johnson models of similar horsepower and if you do a search (try this site first - iboats) there should be cross references. I don't know if yours has a shifter but if it does there's a plate with two screws mid way down the leg. You will have to open that and undue one of the (bottom screw) two screws to allow the shift linkage to separate and allow you to remove the lower unit. Be careful with those screws and the brass block they go into. Very easy to strip. For both the shift and non-shift models you need to remove the four bolts that hold the lower unit to the leg - not the screws at the bottom of the lower unit. This should allow you to 'drop' the lower unit. It will come out with the shaft and the shift linkage and water tube. You will have to line up the water tube with head along with the shift linkage when you reassemble. Also there will be an O ring at the top of the shaft. You might want to replace that also if it's beat. I use a little bit of sil-glide lubricant on the top of the shaft/seal when replacing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you if you have trouble locating the impeller but it should be fairly easy as that impeller probably fits many motors. You have a nice motor. Good luck with it.